Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey guys. Hope all is well. I found a complete airbox, cover, and filter on ebay and they landed at my house last week. I removed the old airbox and installed the correct one:

These btw were installed in the old airbox that was cut open:

I buttoned everything up, replaced brake fluid, and bled the brakes. I took the bike for a ride and it is running better. The backfiring and major popping are gone. However, the flat spots are still there along with some hesitations. I will look at plugs next, but also open to additional suggestions.
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
213 Posts
What's the message on your dash when you turn the ignition?

If you are running the stock ECU the bike will run lean.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm away for a few weeks so will check when I return home. What will the day say if the bike is running stock ECU?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks. I'll check it out when I get back. Assuming it is stock and running lean, what would be my next step? Find an Indy shop who can change it or use software and cables myself?

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
88 Posts
Thanks. I'll check it out when I get back. Assuming it is stock and running lean, what would be my next step? Find an Indy shop who can change it or use software and cables myself?
Good to hear you have seen improvements with the stock air-box.
Judging by the label in the photo, it looks like you have a stock ECU - whether or not it has been re-flashed it another question.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. I appreciate the help. What is usually required for installation of aftermarket exhausts on these engines? Is it some remapping via cables/software or a reflash of the ECU? I'm just trying to get myself educated and determined next appropriate steps.
Nick

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
88 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys. I appreciate the help. What is usually required for installation of aftermarket exhausts on these engines? Is it some remapping via cables/software or a reflash of the ECU? I'm just trying to get myself educated and determined next appropriate steps.
Nick
I am sure there are people who know a LOT more about this than I do, but I have been looking a bit at this recently, maybe this helps as a starting point:

Typical options folks look at:
- Swap in the Racing ECU that comes shipped with the aftermarket mufflers
- Get a Dyno + ECU reflash in the shop
- Purchase commercial DIY reflash software (there are a few options online)
- Install a Power Commander V or equivalent
- Install a Booster Plug or equivalent

All have their various advantages and disadvantages, and the variation in prices is pretty big too.
Perhaps others can comment if I am leaving some options out.

I'm have an M796 and am running aftermarket Termignoni mufflers, with a stock ECU, but have made a few changes:
  • disabled the exhaust flapper valve
  • increased fuel in open-loop by about 8% using a temperature sensor modification (DIY Booster Plug)

I am still running the stock ECU and haven't tried remapping it. These bikes run a Siemens Continental M3C ECU which is not easy to remap at home.
Unlike many other ECUs, there is no widely used open-source or freeware software, so it seems most folks get a remapping done in the shop.

There is a Ducati ECU guru in France who has dome some awesome work, so might be worth a look:
  • his diagnostics tools: jpdiag
  • his forum, worth a search, there is some experimental ECU writing software work going on: JPDiag :: Index

You might also have a bit of a search around this forum, plenty of folks have been up and down this road for the M696/M796.

I'm interested to hear how you get on, so please keep us posted!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for sharing. That's awesome information and EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'm a computer guy by trade, so will explore the jpdiag stuff a little more and price out what a Dyno + ECU flash might cost me locally. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts