Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
New to the forum but not to Ducatis or motorcycles. I bought a 2014 with 10K on the odometer and Ackropovik slip-ons. Bike starts and idles. When I ride the bike it has tons of flat spots and hesitates when rolling on the throttle. Sometimes rolling off and rolling on gets me by it, other times I'll shift gears to get by it. When I roll off the throttle there are very slight backfires.

Prior owner gave me a couple of ODB-II to USB cables and some software to connect to the ECU, but haven't played with any setup yet. Looking for some recommendations on next steps.
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
88 Posts
I'm not sure about the flat spots, but issues rolling on/off the throttle are fairly well known. I certainly had it on my 2014 796. For me at least, I was pretty sure it was running a touch lean, so I was experiencing a lot of engine braking on closed throttle, and it was hesitant upon opening the throttle again. Like you, clutch-slip or down-shift was my way around it.

For the OBD-II - you might want to look out for warnings about rich/lean mixture. I'm not sure about the 696, but the 796 has O2 sensors on the exhaust and will report rich/lean measurements if they are outside a certain bound.

Either way, I'd look first to see if it's just running a little lean due to the mufflers. Many people will suggest that you don't need to change your ECU map for aftermarket mufflers - but I think that really depends on the bike. For the 696/796/1100 Monsters, since the catalytic converter is in the muffler, going for aftermarket pipes means you are also removing the catalytic converter.

In my experience this seems to change the flow a lot, and resulted in a lot of deceleration popping (back-firing). I changed the stock mufflers to no-cat Termignoni mufflers and they would pop and crackle like crazy whenever I closed the throttle or ran it down hill on an almost closed throttle.

When I put in dB killers (baffles) this reduced a lot and became a lot more rideable. But finally what fixed it for me was increasing the AFR by a few percent. I have a bit of a write-up here, though not quite finished:

Have you got baffles/dB-Killers in your Akrapovič mufflers? If not, I'd try getting a pair and see if that eliminates the popping and brings back some power. Or if you have the stock mufflers, try putting them on and see if that restores things. Not a permanent solution (if you'd like to keep your Akros) but at least it pinpoints the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Very informative. Admittedly, all of my experience with modifications have been on carbed bikes so FI is a bit new to me. I don't have the stock mufflers and so far I like the looks and sound of the Akros. I'll investigate the mufflers also. One thing I noticed when looking for the odb-II connector were these pods. I hadn't noticed them before. Assuming they are in place of the stock airbox, could these be contributing to my lean condition?
IMG_0858.JPG

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
88 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Very informative. Admittedly, all of my experience with modifications have been on carbed bikes so FI is a bit new to me. I don't have the stock mufflers and so far I like the looks and sound of the Akros. I'll investigate the mufflers also. One thing I noticed when looking for the odb-II connector were these pods. I hadn't noticed them before. Assuming they are in place of the stock airbox, could these be contributing to my lean condition? View attachment 227092

Oh, wow. Yes!
If it's a a problem of the bike running lean, then for sure, a high-flow intake like that could very likely be the cause.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes sense. I don't know the landscape of the bike that well. If that pod(s) exist, would that mean the PO removed the stock air box?

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
88 Posts
Makes sense. I don't know the landscape of the bike that well. If that pod(s) exist, would that mean the PO removed the stock air box?
It looks like the PO did modify this, for sure.
It's not hard to remove the tank covers and lift the tank. The air-box is underneath.
It's probably there and fully intact, so restoring the bike to stock intake should be fairly straightforward.

You should ask around the forum to see if someone can get you a 696 owners manual.
I can send you the one for the 796, in case you can't find the one for the 696, they should be similar.

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
213 Posts
That pod is too small to be the intake. It's either connected to the Idle Control Valve or the crankcase breather.

If you can't see two big pods through the frame at the front of the bike (behind oil cooler) then you still have an airbox.
Some (delusional) owners think that connecting the crankcase breather to a pod instead of the airbox improves performance. Maybe the PO was in that category.

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
88 Posts
That pod is too small to be the intake. It's either connected to the Idle Control Valve or the crankcase breather.

If you can't see two big pods through the frame at the front of the bike (behind oil cooler) then you still have an airbox.
Some (delusional) owners think that connecting the crankcase breather to a pod instead of the airbox improves performance. Maybe the PO was in that category.
Interesting! I hadn't come across this before.

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
213 Posts
CORRECTION. It's a 696 so it does not have a idle air control valve. It has a manual lever to adjust idle when cold instead.

So that small pod must be connected to the crankcase breather.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. Very helpful. I'm going to pull the gas tank and see what is going on there and figure out next steps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had some time this morning and found the following. Based on some pictures I've seen, it appears the airbox top has been modified. At a minimum, there is no air filter or cage attached to the cover:

·
Registered
304 Posts
What a hack job! If I was in your shoes I would try and get the parts used off eBay or somewhere and put it back to stock. A lot of people hack up their airbox on Ducati’s and swear by it, but you have to tune for the additional airflow. I doubt you get much of a gain in hp or tq by hacking up the airbox and would love someone to actually dyno this. If you want to keep an open airbox filter there is a company that makes one that attaches in place of the lid. Just my personal opinion but if you plan on racing it then go all out and do an open airbox, but get a proper tune from a professional.

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
213 Posts
It hurt my eyes! The previous owner should be banned from ever owning another Ducati.
On the pics you can see that rain was getting inside the airbox (or what's left of it).
The crankcase breather was disconnected from the airbox so that the water could get out I guess.

It's unlikely the ECU was reflashed or swapped for a DP ECU so the engine would have been running awfully lean and hot. What do the plugs look like?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found all the stuff I need on ebay to replace the airbox and restore it to a proper setup. I will also throw a new pair of plugs in.

·
Registered
304 Posts
He gave me a disk containing what appears to be a bunch of open source software:
JPDiag
GuzziDiag
TuneECU
I hope he didn’t try and tune it himself. Probably would have done as good of a job as he did hacking up the airbox. If you have an android phone or tablet you can download the tuneecu app and it’s fairly user friendly. You can go onto their website and get stock and other maps for your specific ecu. They have instructions and a forum if you have questions. I have used tuneecu and JPDiag on my bike. Both of them you will be able to at least read the software version installed on the ecu.

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
213 Posts
He gave me a disk containing what appears to be a bunch of open source software:
JPDiag
GuzziDiag
TuneEC
None of them work on your bike. The 696 uses a Siemens/Continental ECU.
You can download M3C or the latest version of MelcoDiag (2.0) to reset your service indicator but that's about it.
You can't reflash the 696 ECU with any free software.

General indication that your ECU has been reflashed would be the dash message at ignition (MONSTER 696 or M696 RACING) or a sticker on the ECU itself from the place who did it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
What do the plugs look like?
Now there's an idea. Before diving into the deep end, put some new spark plugs in.
The missing, hesitation could be something as simple as fouled plugs. cheap and easy.
If no difference, move on to tuning. ;)

Edit; oops, I see you already considered that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts