Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’ve been lucky enough to get a pair of footrest frames - So I’ve cut the passenger hangers off...
What is the purpose of the castellaged nut behind the 14mm nut at the bottom of the frame behind the brake lever. It’s 100nm torque!
Do I need to remove it..? (and buy or make a special tool..🙄)
‘I watched a YouTube vid (admittedly for an 821) and the guy didn’t touch it to remove his frame plates.
it’s part number 12 in this diagram..

·
Registered
443 Posts
The nut is probably a means to add the rigidity of a much larger bolt without using a much larger bolt... something that put me off the gecko rearsets...they didn't even bother including it their design....but that's another discussion...you will not need to remove the nut...you will need to support the bottom of the motor with a floor jack...might as well grease the swing arm while it's off too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The nut is probably a means to add the rigidity of a much larger bolt without using a much larger bolt... something that put me off the gecko rearsets...they didn't even bother including it their design....but that's another discussion...you will not need to remove the nut...you will need to support the bottom of the motor with a floor jack...might as well grease the swing arm while it's off too.
😳😳 looks a lot worse than I envisaged..better put aside a full day now!

I was thinking 3 bolts and refit brake etc and make bracket for pipes...

Thanks for the answer

looks easier if I remove the rear wheel to take the weight of the swing arm?

cheers.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Aside from the bottom bolt...they are all through bolts....the swing arm is going to fall off wether you like it or not...lol...removing the rear tire is recommended... especially when trying to refit it...that's a mass of dead weight working against you...note the little brace keeping the bike from flopping over...the front stand and a jack will keep it off the floor...but not if someone bumps it...it's very easily knocked over at this point

·
Registered
349 Posts
I was looking at the passenger footrests recently.
Did not look easy to remove, well maybe just the pegs, and you confirmed that.
Think I'll leave them alone and just go ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at the passenger footrests recently.
Did not look easy to remove, well maybe just the pegs, and you confirmed that.
Think I'll leave them alone and just go ride.
...do one side at a time..no swingarm removal required.👌 but get the special tool for the ring nut at the bottom of the footplate.. it’s torqued to 100nm- all it does is hold a spacer but it’s a bugger to release😉
all good now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts