Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the appropriate place for this question. I have the above bike and am not super happy with the suspension. After a discussion with the local shop it seems like my options are limited. Rebuild the fork with different oil and springs, may or may not work, still not externally adjustable. Or, one of the mechanics said, the newer model 1100's have fully adjustable forks and he thinks it could be as simple as loosening the triple clamps and exchanging the fork tubes (if that is the right word). Any wisdom out there to guide me in the right direction? So the question is, is this possible? If it is, what year bike is compatible with mine to make the straight swap? If there are better options please let me know.

·
Registered
291 Posts
May be a straight swap, i don't know. Question is getting your hands on these unicorns, and at what cost? I think 2011 796 forks might be a better bet if you can find a pair. No, they don't come with external adjustments all set to go. However, I think they have much better upgrade options available than others. For about the same bottom line or even less, you could end up with a fully rebuilt, fully adjustable setup made just for you, your riding habits, and your bike. Otherwise, yeah it would be an upgrade. But it would still be generic, used, and subject to all the risks involved there buying used forks. At a premium price.

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Literally almost ordered a set this morning. While dropping over 300 for two new TNK tubes, I figured what's another 550 at this point! Chickened out in the end and just got the tubes for now.
Yep, I've been eyeballing those for awhile now. Maybe this winter.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yep, I've been eyeballing those for awhile now. Maybe this winter.
Yeah same here. Considering the used set I picked up ended up being a bust, I've got an extra set of forks. To play with. Turns out the original dented/gouged tube is the straightest of them all! Even an inch above and below the damage, runout is under .005 mm! I filled the bad spot with machinable metal epoxy, covered it with polyamide tape, and worked out the excess with a plastic razor. Cleaned it up with an ultra fine boron carbide stone. If the new tubes get hung up in customs or something, I may try running it just for grins.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did the monster 1100 swap == as indicated, the simplest fork swap I've done, and I've done a lot. However, the monster 1100 forks as is aren't great. Springs way too soft, for starters. And if you find a set used, count on a rebuild. I got a set for around $400, but put in new oil, bushings, springs (from racetech for my weight), and seals. A huge improvement, but could still be perfected if it was a racebike or I had canyons to carve. It was tough to find a compromise that didn't kill me on the street, but still worked ok on the track. I've got lots of wrenching experience, so the fork swap was easy... might be harder for others who have less skills in this area. Also, it mated well with the aftermarket wilbers shock I got, as well as a taller rear shock mount -- be sure to order that. Note, the 1100 forks are longer than the 796, so until you get the rear shock mount that is longer (the threaded clevis that goes into the frame, another $30 or so) the forks have to sit higher above the triple clamp.

Look closely and you'll still see the white zip tie at the bottom of the slider, indicating I needed more preload, more oil, or stiffer springs at the track. Still a blast though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
170 Posts
I haven't done the mod yet, but intend to probably over the winter months. Haven't made up my mind yet on either the "Andreani Group route or the 1100 Evo forks". With regards to the rear shock thats something good to check into. I would think that with it already being adjustable it may not be a problem. If you plan on doing this soon let me know the results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't done the mod yet, but intend to probably over the winter months. Haven't made up my mind yet on either the "Andreani Group route or the 1100 Evo forks". With regards to the rear shock thats something good to check into. I would think that with it already being adjustable it may not be a problem. If you plan on doing this soon let me know the results.
Choices, choices. I have my last track day this year in early December. I sort of jokingly asked the guys at the shop if it would be feasible to run the am session with the stock set up and the PM session with the inserts. They told me to stop dreaming, so much for a "side-by-side" comparison attempt. They thought I'd "out grow" the stock rear shock in short time and to budget/plan on that up grade too. They did say that the 1100 EVO set up would give the bike more rake which would be favorable on the track. I'm leaning toward the Andreani set up. I don't want to be competing with Singletooth for used Evo forks. :). As to when to make the change, I will probably take it on after my next track day in December. I'll have the bike apart so that would make sense to add fork inserts to the list. As for the rear shock, not sure. Seems like an all at once approach would be best if finances were not an issue. Choices, choices.

I appreciate all the solid input. If anyone makes the move, please note here. Thanks all.
CR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts