Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade the driveability at low rpm. Thinking of installing an aftermarket exhaust+ECU like a temi package. If you have one PM me. I can see what's available on ebay. I'm trying to keep the cost reasonable compared to the cost of the bike. Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
A cheap way to fix the jerky-ness in the low RPM on a Monster with O2 sensor (like the M1100) is to get rid of them.
Look up on Ebay for "O2 sensor eliminator", they cost less than $40 from "smartmoto" in Greece.

If you want to learn more about O2 sensor and why your bike is a pain at constant throttle below 4000rpm, read this great report by Brad:
http://www.bikeboy.org/open_closed_loop_efi.html

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise! I think this is exactly what I need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed one of these sets a couple weeks ago. Made all the difference in the world! I highly recommend it. Also, it only took TWO DAYS to ship DHL from Greece! Hard to beat.

Edit: I also installed a 14t sprocket, which helped quite a bit. Really, though, the O2 delete was revelatory.

-G

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Are there any instructions on how to do it? I briefly "googled" and couldn't fine them. Looking forward to this. I even entertained trading it in on a SF848 with pipe and ECU reflash!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Installation is simple. You just pull both O2 sensors out of their bungs in the pipes and unplug the corresponding wire harnesses. Then plug in the new wiring harness pieces and screw in the sensor bung plugs. All done. I think it took about 30 minutes, including pulling the bike into the garage.

FWIW, I also installed the Duc.ee exhaust valve eliminator at the same time, and the 14t cog a couple days prior. The driveability of my bike is totally and completely changed for the better. Compared to stock form, it's freakin' magical.

-G

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. I will try to figure out where these O2 sensors are in the pipes. I'll see if I can find microfiche or a service manual online. I just ordered these form Greece!

·
Registered
170 Posts
You need to remove the tank to access the O2 sensors. Look at the diagram attached, it's the item #20 (x2).
You should also unplug your battery for 30 minutes in order to clear the adaptation table.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
You need to remove the tank to access the O2 sensors. Look at the diagram attached, it's the item #20 (x2).
You should also unplug your battery for 30 minutes in order to clear the adaptation table.
Er. . . I think your diagram must be for the reggly ol' 1100. Even then, it's hard to see how the O2 sensors could be under the tank. Isn't the engine/chassis configuration very similar to the EVO?
On my 2012 EVO, the O2 sensors were easily accessible. The one from the horizontal cylinder was right in front of the collector, the other was just under the seat. Definitely not under the tank. I wonder if one of us is talking about the wrong thing.

-G

·
Registered
170 Posts
Er. . . I think your diagram must be for the reggly ol' 1100. Even then, it's hard to see how the O2 sensors could be under the tank. Isn't the engine/chassis configuration very similar to the EVO?
On my 2012 EVO, the O2 sensors were easily accessible. The one from the horizontal cylinder was right in front of the collector, the other was just under the seat. Definitely not under the tank. I wonder if one of us is talking about the wrong thing.

-G
You are right, this diagram is from a totally different bike, my mistake.
The O2 sensors are hidden behind the frame on M696 and 2009 M1100S so removing the tank is necessary to remove them. The OP will be glad to know it's easier on the M1100 EVO.

However you still need to remove the tank to disconnect the battery and reset the adaptation table.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the ECU will not learn by itself if I don't disconnect the battery? There is no other way to refresh the ECU?
Thank you all for the wonderful advise! I will try the O2 sensor bypass first before going to a more expensive solution via exhaust/ecu. I still have to figure out how to get to the sensors but will do it with the bike infront of me once I receive the parts from Greece.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So the ECU will not learn by itself if I don't disconnect the battery? There is no other way to refresh the ECU?
Thank you all for the wonderful advise! I will try the O2 sensor bypass first before going to a more expensive solution via exhaust/ecu. I still have to figure out how to get to the sensors but will do it with the bike infront of me once I receive the parts from Greece.
Read about what an O2 sensor does. Look up a picture of an O2 sensor. Then look at your bike. It will be pretty obvious. If not, you may consider hiring out the work.

-G

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do. I noticed the parts in the diagram (lambda sensor?) so will do it when I get the parts. My friend is an ex mechanic and could help me. Looking forward to this. So, do I have to get to the battery and disconnect it after I do the O2 sensor?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I think I did it. I plugged with the O2 eliminators from Greece. What happens to the O2 sensor plug? It just hangs out there disconnected from the exhaust? :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK, I think I did it. I plugged with the O2 eliminators from Greece. What happens to the O2 sensor plug? It just hangs out there disconnected from the exhaust? :)
Not really. You inserted the wire harness plug replacements that came with the kit, right? When you found the existing harness plugs initially, they should have been pressed onto a little clip on the frame, as I recall. There's a small loop on the plugs that is designed to fit right onto those clips. Once you've inserted your plug replacements, put your harness plugs back onto those clips.

Gosh, that may be confusing. Forgive me: I'm working on my first cup of coffee. If this makes no sense or you need clarification, I can get pics. Lemme know.

-G

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not really. You inserted the wire harness plug replacements that came with the kit, right? When you found the existing harness plugs initially, they should have been pressed onto a little clip on the frame, as I recall. There's a small loop on the plugs that is designed to fit right onto those clips. Once you've inserted your plug replacements, put your harness plugs back onto those clips.

Gosh, that may be confusing. Forgive me: I'm working on my first cup of coffee. If this makes no sense or you need clarification, I can get pics. Lemme know.

-G
I think that's what I did - put it in the frame. But the O2 sensor is left connected to the exhaust and the other end is not connected to anything now. I have yet to ride it - looking forward to trying them!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think that's what I did - put it in the frame. But the O2 sensor is left connected to the exhaust and the other end is not connected to anything now. I have yet to ride it - looking forward to trying them!
The next step would be to remove the actual O2 sensors... and plug the holes... with the bungs (plugs) referenced in previous posts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hum. That's interesting. My kit came with a pair of block-off plugs for the sensor bungs. Really, they're just short bolts of the appropriate size with a crush washer. ebay item number: 251514231681

I dunno that I'd ride around with the wires hanging all over. At least zip-tie 'em up nice and tight to the sensor.

-G

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hum. That's interesting. My kit came with a pair of block-off plugs for the sensor bungs. Really, they're just short bolts of the appropriate size with a crush washer. ebay item number: 251514231681

I dunno that I'd ride around with the wires hanging all over. At least zip-tie 'em up nice and tight to the sensor.

-G
shoot! I wish I saw that kit. Mine didn't come with these. I left the O2 sensors connected to the exhaust and the other side just unplugged.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guys not sure if this forum is still active, but when the O2 sensors are disconnected would this help with idling or hurt it? I’ve notice when my monster is idling it stays at a pretty low rpm and almost seems like it’s not getting enough fuel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts