Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It never actually gets "cold" here. However, when I start the bike after it's been sitting a long time, it's very difficult to start. It usually takes at least 6-8x tries on the starter before it finally turns over, and then you have to keep some throttle in it to keep the engine running.

It's consistently difficult to get started. If I ride to the office, get the engine fully warm, let it sit for a few hours.... The same thing happens at startup.

I recently had a major tune up which included new plugs, fluids, ECU flash (motowheels), the charcoal thing removed, and slip ons. The bike ran great for the first month or so after all that. Now I've got this issue.

Maybe the ECU has adjusted to the temp/humidity in our area and there's some other thing that needs to be adjusted on the bike itself?

Is there a cold start lever on this model? I don't think so, but figured I would ask.
What about an idle control knob? If so, maybe I should try turning that up?
Any suggestions on what this may be and what I can do to correct it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd love to know this too. If I keep my bike in the garage (on a tender) it starts right up but if I leave it out overnight (on a tender and the temp drops below 40ºF it doesn't want to start even though it may have warmed up to 60ºF outside.
The battery is fine, it just barely turns over and I'm always shocked after it does after 6-7 attempts as it sounds like it is just about to give up.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
195 Posts
When my 796 was still basically stock, it had issues with cold starts. Slip-ons helped that quite a bit, and I installed a Duc-ee, too, which disables the exhaust flapper... which also might have something to do with it.

I did finally replace my battery, too... even though it seemed fine... and now it is much more energetic when I start, even in the cold. Ducati is not known for it's robust electrics, either, and there are a number of things to check to insure as much power is going to the starter as possible. Nowadays... with a new battery... and even in colder weather, it's basically one push on the starter and it fires.

The 796 has fully electronic fuel management, I believe... there are no adjustments beyond the ECU (someone correct me on that, if necessary.)

You mentioned trying to start it after it's sat 'for a long time.' How long is 'long?' There may also be a fuel stability issue, or other problems if you are using ethanol-blended fuel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts