Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is one of those topics that has been beating to death but, I couldn't find what I was looking for. I posted this on other Monster forum yesterday as well looking for help and haven't gotten much.

One of the members here was awesome enough to share a service manual with me but I still can figure out whats up with my break light. So here is the deal...

I'm having issues with my brake light on my 2012 Ducati Monster 796 ABS. I bought this bike in October 2018 and installed an integrated turn signal style tail light the other weekend and noticed The tail light is illuminated and the turn signals work but when I compress the front or rear brake, the brake light does not illuminate. I did check the fuses on the throttle side of the bike on the frame hanging below the fuel tank. Those all seem to be fine.

I reinstalled the original tail light to make sure it wasn't the aftermarket one and it has the same issue. I'm not 100% sure if it worked before I removed it, but I believe it did from what I recall. Both tail lights are LED also.

If anyone has any suggestions on what to check next or where a relay might be located I would appreciate it.

Just to mention I do have many years experience with motorcycles and cars so I'm not completely helpless but I'm not as hands on as I used to be and I am new to Ducati. I'd rather fix it myself if I can find a simple solution while drinking beer in the garage but I don't always have time for that either. This is my attempt to make that time.

Cheers!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would first check the connector under the seat, around tail cowl area.
Some have experienced one of the inner long 'plugs' not lining up and getting pushed out when re installing.
look closely at each end, if in, sometimes it can be pulled back to proper place with long nose pliers so as it makes contact.

worth a look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would first check the connector under the seat, around tail cowl area.
Some have experienced one of the inner long 'plugs' not lining up and getting pushed out when re installing.
look closely at each end, if in, sometimes it can be pulled back to proper place with long nose pliers so as it makes contact.

worth a look.
Thanks for the suggestion Ronski. I'll take a look at that some point this week and report back. I assume you are speaking of the main tail harness and not the 3 connectors that are capped with plug end? I personally don't know what those go to but have been able to identify the main harness.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My guess would be one of the relays. I have a much older model but they’re probably still under the seat. I wish I could tell you how to confirm continuity on them but I don’t know the test points. But if you pull them off and one of them doesn’t have continuity with anything then that’s probably your huckleberry. It’s possible it was damaged by installing the integrated light as well. If the new light uses LED’s and the original did not and if you installed the new light without an adequate resistor it’s possible there was an excess of voltage somewhere. Food for thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess would be one of the relays. I have a much older model but they’re probably still under the seat. I wish I could tell you how to confirm continuity on them but I don’t know the test points. But if you pull them off and one of them doesn’t have continuity with anything then that’s probably your huckleberry. It’s possible it was damaged by installing the integrated light as well. If the new light uses LED’s and the original did not and if you installed the new light without an adequate resistor it’s possible there was an excess of voltage somewhere. Food for thought.
Sorry for the delay. Been busy with the family.

Thanks for the info Iain.tod. I had a feeling those were the relays but I just haven'r found any documents that support it. The old bike light and the new one are both LED but the new one could have resistor not up to par like you stated. I'll see if I can get a chance to further diagnosis the issue during the up coming holiday weekend.

Thanks again for your help. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts