Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
Welcome on board!

I noticed on your other post the Cogent sticker on your Ohlins shock. I upgrade my XT250 suspension with Cogent and I only have praise for their great customer service.

What exactly did you get done? Valving and spring?
Would you mind sharing your weight and spring rate?
On my Monster 1100S (same Ohlins shock) I changed my spring rate to 115Nm but it is still harsh for my 75kg.

Registered
2012 Monster 796 ABS
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome on board!

I noticed on your other post the Cogent sticker on your Ohlins shock. I upgrade my XT250 suspension with Cogent and I only have praise for their great customer service.

What exactly did you get done? Valving and spring?
On my Monster 1100S (same Ohlins shock) I changed my spring rate to 115Nm but it is still harsh for my 75kg.
The suspension upgrades were done by the previous owner and I don't know the specs. They are very stiff for me riding solo (160lbs), but perfect when riding with my fiance (+110lbs).

I'm currently working on timing belt and valve clearance. I will look into suspensions after that, hopefully sometimes next week. If I find out any more info, I will let you know.

Registered
2012 Monster 796 ABS
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I realized now that the white color on the Ohlins shock spring is just coating paint, probably done by previous owner for heat protection purpose. The yellow color underneath is showing at some spots where the white paint is scratched off. Unfortunately, I won't be able to find the spring ID with the coating paint covering everything.

I spoke to GP suspension when I came in to pick up the fork caps for my GP forks, they said they could get the rear spring rated and replace with the appropriate spring for my weight if I brought the shock in. So that's what I was planning on doing.

But after finishing the valve and belt, I set up the suspension for solo ride, and now it feels a lot better. I'm 160 lbs, so almost the same weight as you. I think the current spring rate is already appropriate for my weight, so I won't be changing it out. Still, I kinda wish I knew what the rate was. Sorry I couldn't be of any help in this mater.

Registered
I realized now that the white color on the Ohlins shock spring is just coating paint, probably done by previous owner for heat protection purpose. The yellow color underneath is showing at some spots where the white paint is scratched off. Unfortunately, I won't be able to find the spring ID with the coating paint covering everything.

I spoke to GP suspension when I came in to pick up the fork caps for my GP forks, they said they could get the rear spring rated and replace with the appropriate spring for my weight if I brought the shock in. So that's what I was planning on doing.

But after finishing the valve and belt, I set up the suspension for solo ride, and now it feels a lot better. I'm 160 lbs, so almost the same weight as you. I think the current spring rate is already appropriate for my weight, so I won't be changing it out. Still, I kinda wish I knew what the rate was. Sorry I couldn't be of any help in this mater.
That the yellow Ohlins spring is starting to show indicates it is probably painted over the powdercoat. The white is likely cosmetic (I know of someone who has all of his springs redone in red) and not for heat protection. Normally, the original powdercoat is removed before the new powder is replied. It wouldn't be a surprise if the white paint comes off fairly easily, and you'll be able to see the Ohlins number stamped on the spring.

Unless the previous owner was very heavy or extremely light, it's very unlikely the spring was changed to suit the rider's weight Assuming this is true, set your front and rear sag (if you haven't done so already) so that you have a good baseline. Since you're in SoCal (nice shot in Rancho Palos Verdes BTW), you can hit up Pro Italia in Glendale and ask them when their next suspension clinic with Dave Moss is. I think they just had one this past weekend, but they seem to run them every couple of months. He's quite the guru and will have you 95%+ perfect after the first adjustment.

Registered
2012 Monster 796 ABS
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It wouldn't be a surprise if the white paint comes off fairly easily, and you'll be able to see the Ohlins number stamped on the spring.
Yes, the white paint comes off fairly easy if I pick at it. But I think I will leave it alone for now since most of the paint is still intact. I don't want to risk peeling it off to a messy result unless I have to.

Dave Moss is [...] quite the guru and will have you 95%+ perfect after the first adjustment.
I have been following his YouTube videos to set up my suspensions. I agree the guy is such a Wikipedia of suspension tuning lol.

Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
The white coating on the spring is definitely for cosmetic purposes to match the white stripe on the tank and tail I suppose.

It's the Cogent sticker that made me wonder. Maybe the shock was re-sprung or re-valve. Who knows? As long as it matches your expectations and usage, it's what matters. Thanks for the update anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts