Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my M1100 is having an odd issue starting. For the last 6 months, the bars had to me all the way left or right before turning on the key for the start sequence to work. If the bars were straight, all the dash lights will come and none will turn off which is what happens when things work as expected. When this happens, the bike will not crank. Now this is happening with the bars turned either way, super weird.

If I move the bars around, take out the key, put it back in, sometimes this will work and things will start. But it seems completely random.

Any ideas where to start with troubleshooting?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Start by releasing some of the tie wraps around area shown. May help to remove tank. They set these way too tight in most cases.
Something is either pulling on a connection when moving steering, or, wires have been squashed and broken/loose connection.
Near end of video, I can see two 'dents' in wire harness. constant movement can cause breaks. Feel with thumb nail or finger, check for gaps or 'thin' sections. If any abnormality found, you may have to carefully trim away black plastic covering to see wires.

Basically, check all connectors in this area, feel for lumps or breaks along wires. As you move bars left to right, watch the harness, any getting folded or crimped?
When complete, reinstall tie wraps, give the harness room to move freely without pulling etc.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start by releasing some of the tie wraps around area shown. May help to remove tank. They set these way too tight in most cases.
Something is either pulling on a connection when moving steering, or, wires have been squashed and broken/loose connection.
Near end of video, I can see two 'dents' in wire harness. constant movement can cause breaks. Feel with thumb nail or finger, check for gaps or 'thin' sections. If any abnormality found, you may have to carefully trim away black plastic covering to see wires.

Basically, check all connectors in this area, feel for lumps or breaks along wires. As you move bars left to right, watch the harness, any getting folded or crimped?
When complete, reinstall tie wraps, give the harness room to move freely without pulling etc.
hope this helps.
Awesome, thank you. I've been thinking about this and yes this has to be the issue. Always hesitant to get into the wiring but I'll give it go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the antenna wire was clean cut inside the loom! Crazy.

Thinking I'll splice in some new wire, solder, and seal heat shrink it then re-wrap the loom.

Thanks!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I took all the tie wraps off my wiring, cleaned connectors, made sure all the connectors were pushed together from both sides, new zip ties further from connectors and allowing a little movement. Mystery starting issues on S4RS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep I ordered everything today. Multiple cable tie types including velcro, adhesive based heat shrink, and going to fix it all up and do it properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had similar problem on 12 1100 Evo. Battery seemed to fix it until hot day (100+) on interstate bike stranded me. wiring burned up (my conclusion). Sold it back to the dealer. Ducati told him heat could have caused it. Check the new harnesses and isolate/insulate.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts