Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Looking for some input please.
Just bought and fitted a Ducabike clutch kit for the wife's monster as the old one was starting to shudder a little on take off.
What should be a simple task I now find it nearly impossible to get it into neutral and shuddering on take off wourse than before.
Ripped the cover off again, pulled the clutch out and checked, reassembled checked that all is installed properly.
Marks are lined up, soaked in light oil for 3 hours.
It's like the clutch is not disengaging fully.
Bleed clutch.
Adjusted the lever to furthest position.
I am at a loss.
Bought through Dukabike Aus which took 4 months to deliver.
Any body got any ideas.
We are dying to go for a ride.
Cheers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi mate,

What's your clutch stack height?
If you have the stock basket it should be 53.5mm.
From the description it sounds like yours is too high.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks LeF,
Thats what I thought, it's like the pushrod shrunk.
I will pull it out again tomorrow and measure, may even slip the old stack back in to see if prob disappears.
Dealing with the supplier was the worst online purchase I have ever done and I buy heaps.
I have sent an email to Dulabike Italy to make sure the clutch friction plates are correct for my model, they came up under Hyperm 796.
I ordered a full kit (October 26) and 2 months later a friction plate kit arrive no drive plates, after constant contact a set of opened drive plates some with rust and pitting arrived, said I wasn't happy and demamded a new set which turned up Wednsday this week.
Now this.
Should hve bought the Barnett kit.
Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From Ducabike Italy

The stack height is a bit higher than the OEM to improve the durability but it will be harder find the nuetral for the first 100/200 km. After that the break-in of the discs will be over and they’ll work perfectly.

Hopefully this is correct

·
Registered
139 Posts
As said above, check the stack height.
By what you said about shocking service, I would trust the quality of the parts like I trust my ex wife. Oh, I still miss my ex, but my aim is improving.... :rolleyes:
So, some, not all, cheap ass plates made in China have an issue, the friction material is not perfectly flat, or is rough, or has high spots. To check, get a piece of flat glass or similar, use 360 grit or so wet and dry paper, lay flat and give them a rub. just a little, examine plates. Any lumps or high spots can be seen, if you look closely enough. If bad, then rub a bit more, these little bumps can also contribute to increasing the stack height a little. Do both sides of course.

Shuddering is usually the two plates not gripping properly or gummed up, or too little oil, What, you say, new plates??
Some 'new' plain steel plates I have seen, have been coated with something when manufactured, no idea what, just looks a bit 'glazed', anti rust coating maybe??, type of grease, but it's possible that it interferes with mating, especially oil bath ones. So before installing, give them a good rub with the emery paper. This removes any surface crap and also 'roughens' the plate to grip better.
I'm not even sure if there is a dished plate in a wet clutch, maybe others know.

On the oil clutches of some bikes, (1100 evo and later) there is an adjuster behind the front sprocket that controls the actual oil pressure to the clutch, too little and they don't get enough oil, and shuddering and jerking can happen. Dealer tool needed to check correctly though, if your bike has this adjuster, then search for solution. It was too long ago to know exactly.

Lastly, constant shuddering hammers the crap out of the basket grooves, very quickly, check for wear, as this can cause difficulty finding Neutral.
Hope this helps.
Ron.

Ps. always soak friction plates in same engine oil. using any old light oil might be different enough to cause problems. Think auto transmission oil types, one is designed to 'allow' plates to slip, the other not so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stack is correct height and matches old stack.
soaked in light syn engine oil for 3 hours +
basket is in great shape.
Plates all looked fine with straight edge and flat on glass panel
re installed and waiting for some sun to try
maybe it just needs some run in time like Ducabike states.
will update soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took it for a quick 25 k ride between rain showers on Saturday.
Clutch works fine on upshift but a little tuffer on down shift and neutral still hard but will take advise from Ducabike and run it in some more.
will update after 100 ks
cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts