Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This old dinosaur has ridden old British twins and singles for over 40 years. The common consensus from all the 'lists' I am on is that the normal range of oil temperatures for these air cooled, dry sump engines is 125 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

My new Ducati owners manual seems to indicate the normal temperature range is @ 230 to 345 degrees F and actually does not give a warning until over 390 degrees F. This sounds extremely hot to me.
Out of curiosity I was wondering if these types of temperatures are really the norm in these modern bikes. Comments solicited.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm new to Ducati with an '09 M1100S purchased a few months ago, coming over from BMW. The same question/concern crossed my mind while going through the owners manual. I'm interested to see what the experienced members have to say regarding this subject.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That may be one reason that Ducati recommends synthetic oil, as it resists breakdown from heat much better than conventional oils. When my 696 had under 3000 miles on it, the oil temp would occasionally get to the 4-bar mark, but now that the bike has over 6000 miles I haven't seen 4 bars in a long time. 99 percent of the time it is at 3 bars.

·
Registered
197 Posts
living in washington, d.c. it gets hot in summer. i had the DP oil cooler fitted to the 696 and it really helped with temperature - running at 3 bars unless in very slow/standstill traffic.

once the bike had 3,000 miles on it, that also seemed to help.

i have a 'new' 1100S with 1,500 miles on it, and she is running regularly at 4 bars.
i plan on changing the oil & filter every 2,500 miles.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You just need to add an oil cooler to the 696. It should have had one on there stock as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Doesn't the oil cooler only help if you are moving? I rode mine recently in stop and go washington,dc traffic. I was up to 5 bars quickly. It was so hot that it felt like a blow torch under my left leg. It was really bad. I am not at 3k mileage yet (just broke 1k), so hopefully breaking that mark will help. I live in the city though, so I'm bound to get stuck in traffic.

Someone mentioned to me that ceramic coating the head pipe will help. Has anyone else found this to be true?

Also, my buddy has an 1100. He actually has something inside of his "radiator cover" unlike my 696. I'm assuming that he has a radiator. Why does the 1100 come with one, but not the 696?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Actually even having an oil cooler on the bike when stopped does help. There is a significant delta between oil sitting in a hot engine and then traveling to ambient air temp. Simply taking hot oil out of its environment will cause a cooling effect. Yes moving air through the cooler will create a much larger delta, but sitting still it does help. What I have seen with the oil cooler is when you get moving the temp drops much faster than without an oil cooler. This last summer in traffic here in PHX I only saw 4 bars. I have seen 5 bars while riding extremely aggressively at high altitude (7000-9000 rpm constant) and 95 degree ambient temps.

The something inside the radiator cover is the oil cooler. The 1100 comes with one due to larger displacement More Power = More Heat. If you notice the new 796 Hypermotard comes with one as will the new Monster 796. Why they did not put one on? I have no idea, it should have had one and that is why I manufactured my own kit. If you do some investigating, you will find that they had a problem with the 695 and overheating issues. They should have learned from that and added an oil cooler to the 696.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts