Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard or had this issue:

My 2009 Monster 1100S occasionally shuts off for seemingly no reason even after warm-up.

I haven't had it happen enough times to see if there is a pattern. Today I was just cruising toward a stop and went to grab a little more throttle and it drops dead like shutting of the run switch. No warning. I just hit the starter switch and start right back up.

Reminds me of the problem on my 2005 Yamaha R1 which resulted in Yamaha having a factory recall/repair on the throttle position sensor. Except in that case, I would have to turn the key off and on before starting again [got so good at it I would do it all mid-roll].

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone heard or had this issue:

My 2009 Monster 1100S occasionally shuts off for seemingly no reason even after warm-up.

I haven't had it happen enough times to see if there is a pattern. Today I was just cruising toward a stop and went to grab a little more throttle and it drops dead like shutting of the run switch. No warning. I just hit the starter switch and start right back up.

Reminds me of the problem on my 2005 Yamaha R1 which resulted in Yamaha having a factory recall/repair on the throttle position sensor. Except in that case, I would have to turn the key off and on before starting again [got so good at it I would do it all mid-roll].
I've read some other posts about bikes dying during downshift. My M1100 has done it one time. Coming up to a light, I went from 4th to 2nd and when I started to let out the clutch- blam. Just like you said, it was like I accidentally hit the kill switch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read some other posts about bikes dying during downshift. My M1100 has done it one time. Coming up to a light, I went from 4th to 2nd and when I started to let out the clutch- blam. Just like you said, it was like I accidentally hit the kill switch.
you might be on to something about the downshift. i usually blip the throttle on downshift. that's what i probably was doing coming to the stop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had this happen several time. Talked to dealer, and they explaned it was a normal occurance for new motors. They told me it should go away by my first service but it took about 2000 miles to go away. It was very common at first and over time became a rare occurance. Hasn't happened in the last 900 miles, do I think it's gone now. It would occur typically when I was engine braking in 2nd gear. As I would slow down and pull the clutch lever, the rpms would drop quickly and die before I even shifted to first gear. I'd just tap the starter and everything would be fine.

The dealer told me it sounded like the friction inside the motor was enough to cause the stall, and it should go away. Well it took longer than they said, but I think it's ok now :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer told me it sounded like the friction inside the motor was enough to cause the stall, and it should go away. Well it took longer than they said, but I think it's ok now :)
This sounds plausible to me. I'm just over 2000 miles. I'll give it more time.

Now I'm dealing with the check engine light coming on yesterday with the EXVL error code. So far I've heard it's not a big problem but the exhaust valve may need to be replaced. I actually want to find out how to remove it without causing errors.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Fixing the stall-during-downshift issue is as easy as either:

A. Not engine braking prior to the shift, or...
B. Opening the air bleed screws.

Assuming it isn't something electronic, which it probably isn't.

Now if it's dying on you while under throttle and not just during shifting? That's a bigger problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This happen to me the other day. Downshifting coming to a light from 4th down to 2nd. I was using engine braking and soon as I shifted down to 2nd it died on me. Started right up while still rolling with the starter and clutch in. Has not happened since that one time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a known software issue with these bikes. No fix for it yet, but Ducati is aware of it. These are words from the mechanic at my dealership.

I think we need to just wait for the recall and they will reflash the ecu.
This is related to the hard staring issue, so we should have them both fixed in the same repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a known software issue with these bikes. No fix for it yet, but Ducati is aware of it. These are words from the mechanic at my dealership.

I think we need to just wait for the recall and they will reflash the ecu.
This is related to the hard staring issue, so we should have them both fixed in the same repair.
A men to that. While mine is only a 696 its embarrassing how hard it is to start it and keeping it running during these humid days is even worse. :mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree, it is a pain to start it some days. I keep getting the EXVL error as well, which, from research, indicates an Exhaust Valve issue.

If this is just sensor/software problem, then I can't wait until the ECU flash is ready. I'm about to turn in the bike for the 15k service, so I'll have the guys at Eastside MotoSports confirm if the valve needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It has happened to me now to with 580 miles on my 2012 1100Evo. At first, I would start it and it would just die right away like three times in a row. Tehn it dies when I was downshifting into 2nd or 1st (I forget).

My buddy rode it the same day and it died as he was pulling in the clutch lever to coast to a stop.

Another day shortly thereafter, As soon as I started the bike the check engine light was on the entire ride. Turned it off, and turned it back on and the light was gone.

All I have is the Termi exhaust setup installed by the dealer and still have the factory levers in place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts