Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
my first post.

my bike, 2009 monster 1100 with 8,000 miles.
looking specifically for fuel filter feedback/advice on servicing. just to change it out.

as i see, KL97 is the filter to go.
the hose clamps, can i go with a proper style hose clamp?

anything as far as tips or time saving strategies?

i've had panels off the tank already and tank almost completely disconnected other than the hoses at the back bottom (i haven't yet had the need to till now)..completely disconnect off the bike.

thank you
Monster.jpg

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
214 Posts
8.000 miles is early to swap fuel filter unless you have a good reason for doing it.

You will need:
  • Mahle KL97 filter
  • Oetiker Hose Clamps 9.6 to 11.3mm and an ear clamp
I would recommend also getting viton o-rings for the fuel connectors to replace the stock ones. CaCycleworks sells them.

Put a dab of rubber grease on these o-rings to prevent damaging them when reconnecting the hoses to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank
8.000 miles is early to swap fuel filter unless you have a good reason for doing it.

You will need:
  • Mahle KL97 filter
  • Oetiker Hose Clamps 9.6 to 11.3mm and an ear clamp
I would recommend also getting viton o-rings for the fuel connectors to replace the stock ones. CaCycleworks sells them.

Put a dab of rubber grease on these o-rings to prevent damaging them when reconnecting the hoses to the fuel pump.
Bike is new to me at 8,000 miles. I do not know the service history of bike.
Saying that, i've changed most of the serviceable items: plugs, all fluids, new Michelin's (they were riding on original equipment. 11 year old tires), air filter. Fuel filter was last item.

KL97..as stated, that is the filter i bought to swap it with. Also with new clamps.

My request was for any tips for time saving and or any random shortcuts to get this accomplished.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update...check these photos. this net or additional filtration set up, what is it referred to as? i don't see it in the PDF, i see everything else.
fuel filter 1.jpg
fuel filter 2.jpg

·
Registered
M1100S - H1100S - XT250
214 Posts
Fuel strainer it removes bigger particles while the filter does fine filtration.

Aftermarket fuel pumps come with new strainer and you should only change it when you fit a new pump or if the net is damaged. You can clean it with kerosene.

Your tank is quite dirty for only 8000 miles. The bike and old fuel has been sitting for too long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel strainer it removes bigger particles while the filter does fine filtration.

Aftermarket fuel pumps come with new strainer and you should only change it when you fit a new pump or if the net is damaged. You can clean it with kerosene.

Your tank is quite dirty for only 8000 miles. The bike and old fuel has been sitting for too long.
sitting...i have to agree. on the outside, looks pristine. but was neglected. definitely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts