Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled my headlight to straighten my right turn signal arm and only unplugged that signal wire to make more room to work on it. Plugged it back in. Now starter doesn't turn. I just get the same sound of the fuel pump priming as I do when turning on the ignition key. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My only guess as a novice motorcycle repair person + fellow 696 owner is that maybe you accidentally switched two wires, unhooked a wire, or ungrounded a wire. All just guesses though. I'd suggest taking the area apart again and tracing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only guess as a novice motorcycle repair person + fellow 696 owner is that maybe you accidentally switched two wires, unhooked a wire, or ungrounded a wire. All just guesses though. I'd suggest taking the area apart again and tracing.
AJZ, took the headlight housing back off. Check wiring plugs, including the ones to the dash, all good. Traced wires back to starter and elsewhere just to double check, all good. I then put the kickstand up and in neutral I get nothing when pressing the starter button. However, if I put the kick stand up it does start. So, I'm thinking it might be something with the kickstand switch.
Thanks for your response by the way.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My two follow up suggestions would be. When you start it with the kickstand up and then put the kickstand down while staying in netural does it turn off? If it does, that tells me you somehow switched the wire signal of the kickstand switch (Not exactly sure how though as you only messed with the headlight area). The second thing is does the neutral light still illuminate when you're in neutral? If not, maybe you undid that signal wire? All just guesses on what I would check.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed! For now anyway. This bike is new to me, only a couple days. I was trying to trace back what I'd done that might have created the issue. After I messed with the headlight initially a couple of days ago I had been playing with the "mode" switch on the left handle bar control and somehow had put the bike into immobilization. I noticed this morning when turning the key the dash only lit with "00000 PRO". I finally figured that was program mode. Got my key code card out (thankfully the previous owner had that.) and reprogrammed my keys. I could then finally start it with the clutch lever pulled whether it was in gear or in neutral (yes green neutral light comes on.) After it was started I could then let out the clutch if it was in neutral and it stayed running. As soon as the kickstand was lowered it killed however. I know this is normal if the bike is in gear, but not in neutral. I restarted and sat on the bike with it in neutral/kickstand up until it warmed up. Then put the kickstand down again in neutral. All good, stayed running. It's still kind of fishy, as it improved after warm up and I could lower the kickstand without it killing the engine. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts