Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked through the posts i could not find one that is like my issue. If i missed it please send the link to the post. just got the bike last week and all has been great till i went to test the brake light after changing the back tire and it will not turn off. So far i have cleaned and tested both switches. Both tone out just as i would expect. with both sensors connected the light is on. with both sensors disconnected the light is on. Pulled the tail light and tested across the pins and got 12v on both outer pins with the center as the common. black/yellow 12vdc black/grey with orange 12vdc. I would expect one of the legs to be dead and get voltage when a switch is used? is there a relay or something i am missing? no other issues other than my rear tire budget is going to take a beating. Thanks for any guidance.

Peter

2009 monster 1100
5500 miles

· Registered
83 Posts
Also check your pedal/lever adjustment in case it's set wrongly and still engaging the switch at rest (Rear brake is most likely).

· Registered
2009 Ducati Monster 1100 S
72 Posts
Looked through the posts i could not find one that is like my issue. If i missed it please send the link to the post. just got the bike last week and all has been great till i went to test the brake light after changing the back tire and it will not turn off. So far i have cleaned and tested both switches. Both tone out just as i would expect. with both sensors connected the light is on. with both sensors disconnected the light is on. Pulled the tail light and tested across the pins and got 12v on both outer pins with the center as the common. black/yellow 12vdc black/grey with orange 12vdc. I would expect one of the legs to be dead and get voltage when a switch is used? is there a relay or something i am missing? no other issues other than my rear tire budget is going to take a beating. Thanks for any guidance.

Peter

2009 monster 1100
5500 miles
Peter,
There is a brake light switch associated with the brake pedal. It may be a hydraulic pressure operated switch, or a contactor micro switch...I am sure you have figured this out by this date and time.

So, assuming that the switch is set to operate correctly and the light remains on when switch not activated...
1. check continuity of a switch
2. disconnect switch and if light is on then power is being delivered in error
3. turn key off...if light on then power is getting there from a short circuit or in other vernacular ...two wires melted together...one of them powered before the switch...this is unlikely
4. with key on the brake light wire and another wire could be melted together.

A disconnect b/L switch
B if light is on
C follow the switch circuit wires...maybe they are melted beside the exhaust pipe
D this is not ECU stuff...it is logic to trace

I am interested in your findings, i havent looked at my beast in a few months now but can do to assist if problem prevails.
sam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts