Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there..... when I look at the WSM S4RS_S4R_998 PDF Model Year 2006 - it shows that the sump contains an oil intake mesh filter - in a housing built into the sump bottom plate. It looks like a cylindrical bulge sticking down. My 08 S4RS Tricolore just has a flat plate. So - did they delete the filter between 06 and 08? Or change the design of it? I'm planning a DIY oil change instead of sending it to the dealer. Apologies if this is covered in a thread already - I did look.

Cheers Chris

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
So, I have an ‘07, and if you squat down you can see the oil filter under the engine. When you remove the drain plug there is a screen connected to it. That’s probably what you’re referring to. Download one of the free shop manuals and it will probably go into detail.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
There is probably a video on YouTube for a Testastretta oil change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I guess they must have moved it to be part of the drain plug - between 06 and 07. The workshop manual for 06 shows the filter as a separate component to the drain plug - mounted vertically. Good to know - thanks!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The filter is separate from the drain plug.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The fine wire mesh filter is above the flat plate. (Ah, flat on my 2008 and 2007, but I see the pic in the service manual has a bulge down.) The real filter is closer to the front of the bike. After you've drained oil, undo allen heads or torx screws (whichever yr bike has) holding plate and the filter may drop out or may need assistance. Wash in fuel, panic if you find bits of metal, and replace. Here is 2007 - 2008.

Reactions: parrycm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I did replace the mesh filter as well as the oil cartridge filter. I had to lay the bike nearly on its side to use an impact driver to undo those damn bolts. But it all came together now. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts