Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be my first motorcycle; struggling to select between a 2009 Monster 696 and 2007 Monster S4RS. :confused:

Appreciate you all sharing your wisdom

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I usually wouldn't say this (cause most people seem to under-buy their first) but S4RS is like, way overkill for your first bike. The 696 on the other hand is something you won't soon outgrow and will be able to soon use nearly 100% of. The looks are the only sticking point. Besides that, it is a super sharp bike. So friendly, but so so sharp.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You should probably get the 696, being your first bike in all. The SR4s is a way better bike for a similar price point, more hp, cheaper ins, liquid-cool, etc.

I would get a 250 or 500 and learn on that for 6 mos, then get a duc. Jap bikes are a lot cheaper to fix when you drop them anyway. :)

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
also... have you considered the S2R 800?
(disclaimer, i have one). i sort of can't get over how much i like the way it looks. and they're available for far less than either of the bikes you're looking at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
appreciate the responses guys; i test drove the Monster 696 and Monster 1100S; i loved and preferred the 1100 S; bit pricey; saw one 2007 S4RS for sale ( and i like the looks of this than the 696); never driven a S4RS; how does the S4RS compare to a Monster 1100 S? any thoughts..

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Also depends of your personnality. I own a S4Rs and its not like you're going to backflip if you hammer the throttle. Yes, it delivers. The real question is : are you mature enough to respect the power. Also, do you plan to drive with a passenger ? Cuz 696 might be a little short. Are you a urban or country rider ? The S4rs is little bit less agile at low speed and a 696 will fit better.

I've been riding for roughly 5 years with a good deal of experience as a mountain biker. I've started with a Z1000 and switched to the S4rs this year. Never dropped anything or come close to a serious drama. But I respect my bike and I'm always driving with some sense of fear ... if I'm in a hurry, I leave the bike in the garage.

I was planning to by a Streetfighter at first but the bike is WAY too high for me. Air-cooled monsters are cool but something is lacking (HP wise). But to me, the biggest argument was the cosmetic. I've dropped the handles, installed air scoops, open clutch/pressure plate, full termi, rear sets, front fender, etc etc. I just went nuts =) I now own a killer bike that I love and that I dont plan to sell for MANY years.

Bottomline : Maturity and your long term vision. And sorry for my lousy english =)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks a lot for good information. I have decided to go with 2007 S4RS; found this for sale in this forum as well. if the sale goes through; should have my first motorcycle in 2 weeks (ready for Bike, Blues & BBQ) .. really excited!! once the sale is confirmed, will post the pictures. i am sure i will have lot of questions; once i start using it :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Careful now. The S4RS (if you haven't ridden one) is a fast ass bike and will bite you real quick if you don't respect it. But then again, I've known a few new riders that really took it easy on their new hot rod bikes and survived to tell about it. But I've known a few others that bought hot rod bikes for their first bike and crashed within a few days or weeks of buying it. You didn't mention your riding experience, but I hope you have at least some, particularly dirt bike experience (low traction conditions in the dirt, in my opinion, make you a better rider on the street).

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice corndog67; appreciate it; yes i am going to be extremely careful; one of my good friend told me that always play this like a strategy game; assume that every single person is going to hit you; and you just watch out for them.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I second the strategy comment. Im all my years of riding i have never come close to loosing it from anything I've done.... I've been hit once (someone making a uturn) and had a few close calls from people not seeing me. get some bright ass gear, try to get seen, but plan on no one seeing you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
thanks for the advice corndog67; appreciate it; yes i am going to be extremely careful; one of my good friend told me that always play this like a strategy game; assume that every single person is going to hit you; and you just watch out for them.
Besides that strategy, being a pretty stout bike, when you are out getting it on somewhere, you get to a turn and you are going faster than you expected to be. I've seen a lot of riders just ride straight off the road because they panicked, or just locked up the rear brake. If you get it, just get out and practice, ride every day, ride with experienced riders, don't worry about keeping up, don't worry about looking cool, worry about riding well. That might keep you up and going.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts