Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

I am looking to pick up a 2007 Ducati Monster S2R 1000 in a few days, and at first I was all excited until he gave me a bit more info on the bike.
I am turning to you all for advise because he mentioned that before he put it away for the winter he started to notice a new clutch noise. When I asked him further details he stated it would make a low squeal when taking off. He thinks his plates are a little glazed and just need to be replaced.

The bike is all stock and has around 10,000 miles. New timing belts with service last year at 7,000 miles. He did change the front sprocket down to 14 teeth..when exactly that was done I am not sure.

Should I still get the bike because the issue more than likely can be repaired by new plates? Which is no problem…or is this a warning sign of a bigger issue? Like pushrods or bearings?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah sorry my bad, It is listed for just under $6000. I did more searching and it seems he is quite possibly correct about the glazing plates. I guess I just need to go have a listen myself.
Thanks for the quick reply puppy!

·
Registered
36 Posts
no clutch problem

I'd bet that you have no clutch problems at all. Its a dry clutch and it is both noisy (did you notice how it quiets down when you pull in the clutch?) and it will kind of groan when it is released, and that is common. Even if the clutch was abused it is very easy to replace.

·
Registered
14 Posts
S2r1000

I have to agree on the clutch noise. I own an S2R 1000 with 10,000 miles and the clutch makes a squeeling noise like a warped rotor rubbing against the pads when you release the clutch and the plates are engaging. the actual noise is generated by the plates rubbing against the basket which has notches to hold the plates in place. As the basket wears, the noise gets worse. You can most likely go for 15K to 20K before you have to replace the complete clutch, basket and all. About every other oil change, you should remove the clutch cover, have someone squeeze the clutch lever and hold it in while you blow the dust out from between the clutch disc plates with compressed air. Even better, you could remove the plates, clean them in a solvent, dry them off and reinstall them. But that's a lot of extra work.
I hate to tell you that I paid $4k for my 07 with 5k miles a couple of years ago. But the owner was desperate and the bike was all stock, and it needed tires and the first service. $6 is not a bad price, if the tires and chain are in good shape, and the belts have been replaced or at least serviced. any added items like Termi pipes and high performance ecu will be icing on the cake.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting the bike, and this weekend I will be taking it in to a local Ducati dealer to have a good once over. I can not wait to get it back!

·
Registered
393 Posts
congrats, now pics :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
That sounds like a pretty decent deal. Less than I paid for my '06. :(

If you really have concerns, give the guy a refundable deposit and take the bike in for an inspection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts