Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of arguments with the Mrs over the bike.

Got a tangerine/black 2006 ducati monster s2r with 27 miles (not 27,000... only 27 miles-not broken in yet because i was not able to get into an MSF course)

Dropped once at less then 5mph (more like tipped over) replaced bent front brake lever, did not replace driver and passenger right side foot pegs (they are very mildly scratched on the underside, cant see under normal circumstances)

Bike looks immaculate/new, as it should since it has only been on the street once. It has cycle cats sliders, otherwise OEM.

I'm not sure what fair value is for this bike, since it has less miles then some still classified "new" bikes I've seen in show rooms. Any feedback for pricing would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a new, never worn small red Arai helmet (purchased this jacket and helmet right before the last argument) if anyone's interested.

The red Ducati jacket I previously mentioned in the ad is no longer for sale-it was dangling in reach of one of our cats who confused it for a play toy.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Re: 2006 S2R800 27 miles

ride it to a Porsche dealership, and trade it in for 4 hot wheels. If she doesn't want to come along...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

We already have an '01 miata with over 10 grand in performance parts that i autocross, and a new wrx we picked up a couple days ago. cant trade it in on another hot set of wheels because one of the many arguments my wife has picked is the sheer number and cost of toys. :(

·
Premium Member
865 Posts

sent you a PM. ;D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

To answer a handful of questions I've gotten private messages (so everyone knows)

The bike is tangerine with the black stripe/black wheels/black frame.

If you haven't seen tangerine yet, the closest way i can describe it is a warm red in the sun, D.O.T. bright orange in fluorescent/less then optimal lighting.

I'm going to try to take pictures this weekend.

There is no lien on the bike, I paid it off 2 weeks ago. I have not received the title yet from my credit union (they've told me it's in the mail)

D

·
Registered
454 Posts

Ive got the exact same bike with 5500 miles on it.

When i read the original post it sounds so downtroden it makes me want to cry.

DO NOT SELL IT!

For some reason it seems that monsters depreciate quickly, and besides, its an amazing bike. If youre planning to get a "slower looking bike" to satisfy your wife, it wont satisfy you.

ok. im sorry i had to say that.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts

I too have the same bike. Had those conversations too. You're selling it makes me sad. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Wife finally found out I was about to sell bike. So now she’s gone from being mad at me for having/riding it to mad at me for selling it to appease her. And tomorrow she’ll probably be mad at me for not selling it.

Since I think she’s going to be upset with me no matter what I do, I might as well enjoy the bike. She’ll just have to deal.

If anyone can explain women to me, I’d really appreciate it. (Assuming this website has enough storage to cover a topic that large)

Sorry for the drama.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Congratulations. In this situation, i think youve found the only way you can win.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i went out and let her pick out all the gear she wanted shortly after buying the bike (which may be why she was OK with everything while i was buying the bike-she was subdued with a clothes shopping spree)

The first time i hopped on the bike, I revved it to 3k rpms or so before letting out the clutch (since i was used to dumping the clutch in my miata at around 6k rpms on the track) and had the front end in the air the first time i ever was on a bike. she went pale and refuses to sit on any bike, as the rider or passenger. :(

The conversation typically goes "blah blah blah dangerous blah blah scary blah blah hurt blah die blah blah want kids blah blah"

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Have you signed up for MSF yet?
I think doing that would probably make her happy,
and keep you from further damaging the bike/you.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I agree with toolfan, do the MSF class... it will be good for you both! And, keep all stupid stunts, antics and comments out of her sight and hearing range. I NEVER talk about any of my rides/close calls/etc. with the wife. What see doesn't know or see doesn't hurt her... or our relationship!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i know we're swinging way off topic here... but yeah, i enrolled last year in an MSF course. the earliest course available is end of march/beginning of april so i'm still stuck waiting. Having to wait to take the MSF and my wife vocally expressing concerns over my safety are the two reasons there are still only 27 miles on the bike after 2 months of ownership.

Thanks again guys (and girls)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts