Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 s2r1000 with less than 600miles on it.... thursday while riding my foot slipped off the clutch going into 2nd gear (as always, i hate the stock pegs) I felt the bike move akwardly, but thought little of it, but i soon began to notice a winding grinding noise coming from the left side of the engine whenever i stop and goto neutral. I cut the engine and restarted at least 3 times with the bike in neutral and heard this sound consistently, almost as if metal parts where floating around (but no green N light on?)

i immediatly called the dealer who suggested i ride it in... so i ride the bike in the next morning with no problem, (green N light on) no strange noise at all, i leave the bike with the service department, they say all is well there is nothing wrong with the bike... i just need to ride it more.

Now am i crazy or is this normal?

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not yet (fingers crossed)

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Any kind of grinding noise coming from an engine is not normal. I personally would pull the cover and take a look. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, try another dealer. Definitly don't "just ride it".

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine does it too- started after the 600 mi. service- got 940 mi on it right now. Thought it might be dieagreeable oil on some bearing surface. Seems to come and go- still quiet enough to be heard only over the stock cans. I figured the mechanic would never hear it, hopefully it will go away w/ break-in, or get to be noticeable to the certified deaf mechanics before the warranty runs out :). Gonna take my mechanic's stethascope to it later to try to isolate the location.
I have a feeling it is a break-in sound and will go away.
Let's keep this thread updated.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I was reading another post that referenced the neutral light on while in gear. Turned out to be the shift drum. The missed shift could have bent a shift fork or wounded the drum in some manner.
:-\

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Re: 2006 s2r1000 Very strange Grinding sound coming from left side engine case!!

s2racek said:
i immediatly called the dealer who suggested i ride it in... so i ride the bike in the next morning with no problem, (green N light on) no strange noise at all, i leave the bike with the service department, they say all is well there is nothing wrong with the bike... i just need to ride it more.
They are _probably_ right, but if I was you I'd get that in writing from them, just in case there's a warranty issue further down the line...

I assume you meant your foot slipped off the gear lever (not the clutch), if so I seriously doubt you'd have hurt anything - bent shifter forks come from too much force on the gear lever not too little. I suspect you're just hearing the normal occasional noise many bike gearboxes get when in neutral, and you're just being a bit paranoid about it.

big

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Re: 2006 s2r1000 Very strange Grinding sound coming from left side engine case!!

Does the grinding sound vary with the engine?

Gotta be a bearing, but outch.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
When I miss a shift it is a natural reaction to quickly repeat the intended shift. That can be a relatively forceful action that can result in transmission injury, depending on the intensity of the moment. Did you do something this nature?

Shot in the dark - Have you ruled out stator/flywheel related noise?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Grinding noise = bad.

I suggest removing the inspection cover on the left side case and looking at the shaft bearing right there on the end. Mine failed and made a grinding noise (after more than 25k miles though). That's likely not the problem, but it's so easy to look that you may as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts