Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I just purchased a 2006 S2R that needs a bunch of love for $1600. No idea how many miles are on it. "It sat outside for 8 months". And "my mechanic friend said it might need an ECU". All awesome things and could have spent my money on something less of a basket case, but whatever.

Came with Black key, Red key and Code card! Woohoo

The battery is new/charged.
It will NOT crank with the starter switch.
Coolant level is good
You can crank it over by connecting the two terminals on the solenoid. Sweet, the engine isn't frozen, that's something.
You can put the key in the ignition, and it powers up the lights and dash. Sweet.
Don't see the yellow light pop on.
No fuses are blown.
Kickstand bypassed with a wire for testing purposes.
Odometer reads "-------------- Total".

I was reading a fairly in-depth description of testing all of the grounds and their locations, and can't find that post anymore. I thought it was this forum... but I can't find it in my search history either.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I assume nobody has any idea of whats going on with the lack of responses and 90+ views. Awesome.

Further update:
I ordered the diagnostic tool that came with a few different software options for $40 on Amazon. Sweet. And it's no longer available it looks like, so, glad I got it when I did!

Plugged it into the bike, was able to communicate with it and control fuel pump, speedo, and a couple of other things. Works great with JPDIAG.

Still have "-----------Total" displayed for mileage.
BUT, when you hit "unlock ECU" and with the diag equipment hooked up, it will turn over and start!
As soon as you unplug it, the bike won't start or turn over. No immobilizer light still. Maybe its burned out and I'm special?

When I perform the ECU Virginity test, it states "ECU Stored. ECU doesn't allow start. Code Unknown."

Also. Glad I checked my belts. Won't try and start it until I tighten them to spec, looks like a tensioner came loose and you can remove the belt easily. Ha, that could have been bad. Shoved a borescope in each cylinder and saw no damage to anything. Got lucky.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So it may be obvious but something is telling the ecu not to start. My guess it is the cluster not sending the message to the ecu. When you plug in the cable it bypasses the cluster. If you can get the IMO disabled that might do the trick.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I had an issue with my ‘07 S4RS last year. It might have been my post you‘re referring to.
At any rate, it’s simple and free to try.
My bike would not light up or crank. I thought I had a bad immobilizer antenna, or a bad ECU.
The fix: The factory zip ties holding the wiring harness to the frame were installed too close to some of the connectors. When Luigi tightened the zip ties, it pulled the wires very slightly out of some of the connectors. You couldn’t see it . I cut all the zip ties off the wiring harness, but if you pushed the wire back into the connector from each side, sometimes you felt a click as it seated fully in the connector. At any rate, when I was done the bike fired right up. I put new zip ties on, further from the connectors than the factory did to prevent a reoccurrence.
I cleaned and lubed every connector on the bike while I was at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had an issue with my ‘07 S4RS last year. It might have been my post you‘re referring to.
At any rate, it’s simple and free to try.
My bike would not light up or crank. I thought I had a bad immobilizer antenna, or a bad ECU.
The fix: The factory zip ties holding the wiring harness to the frame were installed too close to some of the connectors. When Luigi tightened the zip ties, it pulled the wires very slightly out of some of the connectors. You couldn’t see it . I cut all the zip ties off the wiring harness, but if you pushed the wire back into the connector from each side, sometimes you felt a click as it seated fully in the connector. At any rate, when I was done the bike fired right up. I put new zip ties on, further from the connectors than the factory did to prevent a reoccurrence.
I cleaned and lubed every connector on the bike while I was at it.
Interesting.... I will try this! Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it may be obvious but something is telling the ecu not to start. My guess it is the cluster not sending the message to the ecu. When you plug in the cable it bypasses the cluster. If you can get the IMO disabled that might do the trick.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking. The diag software says something like "ECU Doesn't Allow Start". But why.... I don't know if I can do anything with the immobilizer and my software, but I'll have to play with it some more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts