Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (/gals),

Brake light only has one brightness when the bike is running (appears full brightness) Nothing changes when i use the rear or front brake lever.

I recently replaced the front lever, and after doing searches on this board my immediate reaction is that i must have lost the dowel, so i took the front brake lever back off, turned the key to "on" and checked the rear light with and without pressing the tiny white button on the box under the brake fluid reservoir-no difference in lighting with the button being depressed versus released.

The horn works, headlights work (low and high), turn signals work, and brake light is lit.

Any ideas??

Also, does anyone know where to get the tiny dowel that apparently fits between the front brake lever and the button that measures if the front brake is being used? i think something is supposed to be there because i dont see how the button would be depressed otherwise (although i dont think this is the lighting problem since i unmounted this and was manually pressing the button myself)

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 2006 S2R brake light wont go out

i think i found the "dowel" that depresses the button, part # 195.4.002.1A. i cant find this part online ANYWHERE!!!

but, that still doesn't solve the problem of the light not getting dimmer/brighter even when i depress the button.

·
Registered
129 Posts

I believe the bulb has a dual filament. Did you check to see if the bulb is good?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

good call, no i didn't check it yet but i'm going to head out and do that

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

The bulb may be installed wrong.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

the bulb hasn't been touched since i picked the bike up (new) and it originally worked. unfortunately it's raining cats and dogs right now so i cant go out and put a new bulb in today...

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

The little white button needs to be pressed in to turn the light out. Yeah, I know you tried it both ways, this is just in case you didn't know how it works. Anyway, if you follow the wires down from the front brake light switch you will , unless they finally changed the connectors, find two cheesy bullet connectors. Disconnect them. If the brake light goes out that is the offending part.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts

Similar thing happened to me a while back, don't forget to check the rear brake pedal too. I found that there was some dirt and grime build up on the rear brake relay causing it to stick into position. I think I just used some WD40 and wiped the area clean.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Sure enough, it had nothing to do with the brake lever.

The small plastic/rubber shaft that protrudes from the sensor above the rear brake pedal somehow bent/folded to the side while in the outward position (so the button would not get depressed when pedal returns to it's upward position)

I was able to take a screwdriver to pry the button to a straight position and the brake light started working fine again.

Thanks again everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts