Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, hopefully you all can give me a bit of advice here because I don't even know where to start looking.

I started up my bike today, everything was normal. I rode it around 2 miles to get gas. After filling up, I went to start it up as always and when I pressed the start button I would get a single click and then nothing. I checked all of the usual stuff, clutch, kickstand, whatever. Several more tries and I still got that single click. Finally after 5-6 tries it cranked up.

I rode it another 10 miles to my buddy's house. Upon trying to leave I got the same single click, but this time I kept trying over and over again with no improvement. I initially figured the battery was worn out, but the light and everything worked fine, and we tried to jump it off of his car battery with no improvement.

So that's where I am right now. Fortunately my buddy is nice enough to let me keep it in his garage for the time being, but that also means I can't just go out to my own garage to poke around to figure out what's wrong. I need to get some pretty solid ideas before I go back over there to attempt to fix it. I'm fairly handy with cars, but I have never had to work on a bike before, so the starting system is a bit of a mystery to me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like you already said it sounds like the battery but I am thinking more along the lines of the power to the starter. I would try and remove the starter power wire and make sure it is free of corrosion and has a solid connection. I have always taken something and removed a little bit of the top layer of metal to make sure it has a fresh solid connection.
One question though... Has it been in the rain or anywhere to where it can get wet and its not giving you a check engine light is it?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Three main things...1.Voltage regulator/recitfier has gone bad,2.battery has gone bad,3.stator has gone bad.OR maybe even a starter but it sounds more like a low charge situation to me especially if its been sitting for a while.

But before I check any of these things I would make sure ALL electrical connections are clean and tight.

Merry Gremlin Hunting..Peace

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. It has not been wet in months, and I just took it out the weekend before last and rode it around 100 miles, so I wouldn't say it has been sitting a while.

Not having the bike here, I can't check any of that other stuff. I think I'm going to suck it up and rent a trailer to get it home to my own garage.

·
Registered
302 Posts
100miles is not enough to charge a battery that is low...especially if the 100 miles weren't ridden in one long shot.

Instead of splurging for the trailer right away.If your friends house isnt too far from you, one easy thing I would recommend is to take the battery out of the bike and get it load tested at a battery shop...

The whole process should take no more than 1hour from battery removal to replacement and you only need a screwdriver...The load test only takes 1min and it should be free at most places....

Atleast this will tell you if your batt is good,and if its a bigger problem...

And if you have access to a multimeter..You can do all those checks I listed earlier by yourself in an hour or less..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We did try to start it with a car battery jumped to the bike battery. I don't know if there is some reason why that wouldn't work, but I think it would rule out my bike's battery being faulty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
click!

i've got a similar problem. my 06 monster 620 has the same click when i try to start it. i've verified the battery is good, and replaced the starter solenoid. what next?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did trailer my bike home today and have had my battery charger on it for the past 2 hours and it is still charging, saying my battery is low. I am anxious to try it out tomorrow to see if it will crank or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, time to resurrect this since the weather is nice and I would like to ride the Monster again.

I took the battery to an auto parts store and they tested it, they said it was fine besides being a little low on voltage (11.91V) which is not surprising considering the bike has been sitting for 4 months. I took it back home charged it up, put it back in the bike, still no improvement.

I checked voltage on the starter relay and it is getting power, and when I hit start and hear the click, that relay is what is clicking, and my multimeter does show voltage jump up for a split second on the right side. I also jammed my multimeter probe against the starter connection down low and that also shows a jump in voltage for a split second. So it seems to be like the starter is getting power and being told to start, I just can't measure how much voltage it is getting since my multimeter only changes its digits for a split second.

Does this sound fairly conclusive that the starter is bad, or are there other things I should be checking first?

Edit: I found out that a new starter is like $500, and this battery is a few years old. I'm going to order a new battery before I get on the starter train.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI this problem has been solved. I PMed MeVsRobots asking if he ever found the solution, and he told me it was a bad connection on the ground of the negative battery terminal. Sure enough I just tightened that down and she cranked right up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like you already said it sounds like the battery but I am thinking more along the lines of the power to the starter. I would try and remove the starter power wire and make sure it is free of corrosion and has a solid connection. I have always taken something and removed a little bit of the top layer of metal to make sure it has a fresh solid connection.
One question though... Has it been in the rain or anywhere to where it can get wet and its not giving you a check engine light is it?
Mine has been in rain and with the check engine light like you say, can you point me in any direction? Multistrada 2006 Dark 620

1 - 11 of 11 Posts