Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a 2006 Ducati Monster S2r I believe the 800, for $3000. It is the Orange color with the black stripe, everything is stock on it, and it looks beautiful. The right side is perfect, but the left side is a little scratched. Im guessing it was laid down, but it couldnt have been too bad because the only visible damage to me is the: Front fairing (windscreen) has a little scratch, The clutch lever is bent, the left side handlebar end has been chewed up a bit, the left side of the engine cover is gouged just on the bottom and thats about it.

The bike has a salvaged title, because all of those plus the tank has a little tiny dent in it (they had to circle it before i saw it...).

also it only has 300 miles on it. I was trying to get some other opinions on it. Fixing the handlebar, the clutch lever, and the left engine cover, would it be worth it?

Any advise would be great, thanks a lot!!!!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It doesn't sound like it would take much to fix the parts that are messed up. If you pass on it let me know where it is - I'd be interested if it is the real deal.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
here in the philippines i paid the equivalent of $7800 in 2005 for a 2004 M620 with 2600kms on the odometer at the ducati dealership. so $3000 sounds really cheap for a 2006 s2r with 300mi even with the damage you describe.

I would test ride it and if it handles well and the engine is ok i would go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
+1 on a test ride. If it checks out ok, sounds like a fair deal. You'd want to make sure there's no chance of internal engine damage, but that's probably not likely.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good call on the test drive, only problem is this place doesnt allow test drives or anything like that.. A buddy bought a bike from there for a similar cheap price, he bought a CBR 600 with like 1000 miles for around $2800. It rides fine and all of that. This place is pretty good about noting all of the damage.

So im guessing the overall is a "go ahead and buy it" So im going to see what i can do.

What is the best place to buy one of those "mag covers"? (left side engine cover)

Thanks for the advise so far!
Jason

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, one more thing about the bike, Its missing its Red key.. Im not too familiar about this part of the bike, ive been looking in the forum and im answering some questions. My current question is, It comes with a black key, Is there any reason in the future that i will need a red key? or would i be fine just "cloning" the black key?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The damage doesn't sound so bad, but if you can not ascertain it runs, goes down the road true and shifts, be wary.

No red key is a problem.

Find out what you need to do to register a bike that "earned" salvage title where you live. It can be a PITA.

No red key and salvage title, IMO, $3K is about all it is worth, no test drive, less.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
you need the red key to program gauges should the need arise in the future. I've had to do this!
The fact that you can't test ride the bike, no red key and salvage title.... I would personally walk away. At first I thought it would make a good track toy because it wouldn't be worth trying to insure and register a bike with a salvage title, not in my neck of the woods anyway. Other places may be different. But now you're saying you can't test it out and no red key, fageddabowdit. :-\

·
Registered
675 Posts
skizzlez said:
good call on the test drive, only problem is this place doesnt allow test drives or anything like that..
I don't know man......you could get a gauge/ignition/red key set in eBay for a couple of hundred bucks, but not been able to test the bike is a risk. I would bring a experienced person/friend to check for frame damage, just to be sure. Can they ride it in front of you. Many people get excellent deals in this manner, others get screwed big time. Good luck!

Carlos

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Certainly riskier w/o test drive. See if they'd give you any kind of warranty 2 o 3 days to take it to a shop and look for any problems they're are not aware of. You could be buying a problem. Or see if they let a mechanic come a take a look at it. That will cost you a few bucks, but it's well worth your peace of mind IMO. For that price I'd assume there's something seriously wrong with it, and very tempting at the same time.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, no test drives are aloud, they started it up, it runs fine, nothing appears to be wrong with it that way, Im assuming there is no way to buy a red key from ducati with all of your information, giving them the vin and all of that ...
Industrial_Grrrl said:
you need the red key to program gauges should the need arise in the future. I've had to do this!
The fact that you can't test ride the bike, no red key and salvage title.... I would personally walk away. At first I thought it would make a good track toy because it wouldn't be worth trying to insure and register a bike with a salvage title, not in my neck of the woods anyway. Other places may be different. But now you're saying you can't test it out and no red key, fageddabowdit. :-\
you say you had to do this, what did you need to do it for? why did you need to program the guages? also, are problems that require a red key very common?

·
Premium Member
195 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
skizzlez said:
Ok, no test drives are aloud, they started it up, it runs fine, nothing appears to be wrong with it that way, Im assuming there is no way to buy a red key from ducati with all of your information, giving them the vin and all of that ...
you say you had to do this, what did you need to do it for? why did you need to program the guages? also, are problems that require a red key very common?
Starting it up and running it mean nothing if you can't ascertain whether the frame is still straight. There could be a bend in the frame or the steering head that you won't notice until you give it a good ride. I wouldn't even consider a bike they won't let you test drive. It has a salvage title for chrissakes. Whadda they think you're gonna do, damage it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
no red key, no test drive, salvage title.

Tell them, 'good luck, hope you find a sucker' and walk away

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright, im going to ask again if they will let me get a test drive in. if not, ill just walk away. thanks a lot everybody.

·
Registered
103 Posts
good decision. You thank yourself later for spending more money on something you know is reliable, rather than save money on a possible dud.

There are much better places you could gamble your money at, Las Vegas for example, and there you get free drinks for that kinda money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts