Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So an update, I checked all those things and everything seems to be working just fine, the only thing I can’t look at is if the engine is seized a little by rotating the ear wheel only Bc I don’t have a stand to do that just yet. However I did try putting a little starting fluid in and the bike almost turned over that was the closest I have gotten so far. But then it stopped and I think it stopped working Bc I think I may have wore the battery out trying to start it. The electrical still works but now it hardly tries to start when I try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I also have a signal coming on saying Lo with a temperature picture that has F degree. I thought the bike was air cooled is it possible that it’s air and water cooled? And how would I refill that?

·
Registered
222 Posts
It may help to squirt a little oil in the spark plug holes; with them removed of course. A little trick that helps a slightly seized engine. A good opportunity to check the gap of the plugs and/ or replace them too. The LO is from the oil temp sensor and cuts off when it reaches operating temperature. I usually don’t ride my bike until the LO caution goes off so the oil has a chance to circulate throughout the engine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
No rear stand?
Get a helper, sit on bike, plugs removed, squirt some oil in to cylinders, no need to turn anything on, select second gear and get helper to push it.
very hard by yourself.
At least verify the engine actually turns over first. I would at least remove belt covers for a look, as suggested before. after sitting for years, they will need replacing anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Small checklist before starting. Bike in neutral. Kickstand up. Choke all the way down for cold start. Oil light will most likely always be on before starting the bike. Super common in these older ducati's.

1. Fuses. Check all of your fuses and make sure they're all good.
2.Check your sparks. There probably is 3 different spark plugs. Make sure they're all good. If one isn't good, but 2 are it still wont turn over. It's like 3$ per spark plug.
3. Pull out a multimeter and make sure your battery is holding a good charge. It should be holding a solid 12.6/12.8v. If it's anything lower, charge it until it is. If it's not holding it's charge get a new battery.
4.Is more of a question and a fix. If it had gas in the tank and it was sitting for 3 years you need to drank the tank and put new gas in.

If it's none of these we will go from there, but if it ran and is now sitting this should 100% be it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey everyone sorry I’ve been MIA! Good news though, today I was able to start her up and get her running!!!! I did and checked a bunch of these things as suggested. I even got a new fuel filter and after I installed the new filter she started right up!!! However my next problem I’m having it that one of the flue lines that connect and come from the gas tank itself is leaking... and I am having trouble finding the right hoses and connectors to replace it with.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts