Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just got a 2006 Ducati monster 620 dark. The guy I got it from said that last time he rode it was about 3 years ago however since it’s been such a long time it obviously does not start anymore. I replaced the battery on it and all the electronics work just fine however when I go to start the engine there’s nothing but silence. No clicking or any evidence or the engine trying to turn over. Any suggestions on what the issue could be?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Check your fuses and start from there if the kill switch is off. Is there any lights that stay on the dash when turning on the ignition?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, I’ve tried a lot of different methods, I’ve tried using what I believe is the choke, kill switch on and off kickstand up and down and nothing’s not even a noise comes from it, the only light that stays on is the oil light. I do know the bike is low on oil and could use a change but I wanted to see if I could get it to turn over first before I did that. I appreciate the help guys!!! Anything else you can think of I’m all ears here lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
My oil pressure light stays on until it’s started so I wouldn’t be worried about that one. It is a new battery but is it fully charged? Also check your grounding cable on your ecu. On mine I think I had it connected directly to my battery after I had built it back up and it didn’t start. The ecu grounding cable needs to ground to the ecu body.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My oil pressure light stays on until it’s started so I wouldn’t be worried about that one. It is a new battery but is it fully charged? Also check your grounding cable on your ecu. On mine I think I had it connected directly to my battery after I had built it back up and it didn’t start. The ecu grounding cable needs to ground to the ecu body.
I would hope it’s fully charged I just got it 2 days ago ahahah but I’ll hook it up and double check to make sure it’s fully charged. And I will go double check the ecu grounding cable thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Half good news. First half I’m just an idiot the bike was not in neutral... now it is in neutral and is trying to start. However it won’t fully turn over now it just tries its hardest without fully turning over

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It happens to the best of us. Did you charge the battery?
I did charge the battery it’s fully charged. I think the issue now might just be because it sat so long without running it might just need some love. Tomorrow I’m going to try to bump start it and see what happens.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ok I mis-understood what you were saying I thought it was barely turning over. Maybe try changing the spark plugs; they are fairly cheap. This is also assuming you dumped the old gas and put fresh gas in the tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I mis-understood what you were saying I thought it was barely turning over. Maybe try changing the spark plugs; they are fairly cheap. This is also assuming you dumped the old gas and put fresh gas in the tank.
It’s raining outside today so I have not tried to bump start it, however I put fresh gas in and I don’t know if it’s because it’s cold? But it won’t try to turn over again so I’m not sure what’s happening with it today. I’ll try again tomorrow when it’s warmer or this weekend.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Weird so it was barely turning now it isn’t turning. I wonder if the starter maybe just died? Check the fuse and or relay for the starter. If you have a multimeter make sure it’s getting voltage to the starter. Other than that I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be turning over, besides kill switch and starter button. Of course you said the battery is charged but if the battery isn’t rated for your motorcycle the voltage could be dropping too much when you engage the starter. Maybe if you can jump start it at least you’ll know if runs, but I’m curious if that is even possible on a Ducati because of the electronics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It’s raining outside today so I have not tried to bump start it, however I put fresh gas in and I don’t know if it’s because it’s cold? But
Weird so it was barely turning now it isn’t turning. I wonder if the starter maybe just died? Check the fuse and or relay for the starter. If you have a multimeter make sure it’s getting voltage to the starter. Other than that I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be turning over, besides kill switch and starter button. Of course you said the battery is charged but if the battery isn’t rated for your motorcycle the voltage could be dropping too much when you engage the starter. Maybe if you can jump start it at least you’ll know if runs, but I’m curious if that is even possible on a Ducati because of the electronics.
So I just went to the garage and I tried to start the bike again and it was trying to turn over again but never fully turned all the way. So I think you may be correct with the voltage dropping maybe or some sort of other electrical issue. This weekend I’ll try to look at the starter bottom itself and check those wires see what they look like and o guess go from there lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you have a multimeter you can read the voltage when you press the starter button and see what it reads. If you don’t you can take the battery to advance auto or such and have them do a stress test on it for free. One thing you could try too is put jumper leads from your car battery; while the car is not running to the motorcycle battery and then try and start the bike. Don’t run the car though while doing it because it may fry things. If you don’t know how to use jumper cables also don’t attempt it because you could fry stuff too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Check the battery leads to the solenoid and starter, clean the earth lead connection.
The grease in the solenoid can go hard/sticky, I removed mine, removed the 4 cable bolts, filled it with WD40 and triggered it repeatedly, let it drain out.
This sorted my temperamental starting issues when I first got it.
If it sat for a few years might not hurt to check if the timing belt adjustment rollers are turning freely as well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If it sat for a few years might not hurt to check if the timing belt adjustment rollers are turning freely as well.
If it was not running for 3 years, be more like 5, as most people selling, lean toward minimum. Before diving into electrics, (yes, do get that battery confirmed as fully charged.)
There is also the possibility the motor is seized a bit. As QLDs4 said, and also to add, I would raise the rear wheel,(stands), remove spark plugs, engage second and try to rotate engine using rear wheel. You will notice any tight spots, it should turn engine over, not easily, but possible.
If you can't rotate engine, then neither will the starter motor.
worth checking.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Also keep in mind that if the ignition has been in the on position for more than 10 seconds it won't turn over.
Its a power saving feature I didn't know about when I first got mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So an update, I checked all those things and everything seems to be working just fine, the only thing I can’t look at is if the engine is seized a little by rotating the ear wheel only Bc I don’t have a stand to do that just yet. However I did try putting a little starting fluid in and the bike almost turned over that was the closest I have gotten so far. But then it stopped and I think it stopped working Bc I think I may have wore the battery out trying to start it. The electrical still works but now it hardly tries to start when I try.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts