Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Monster 800 S2R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a 2005 (23,500km) Monsters S2R and new to the Ducati world. I bought the bike with the intention to flip it for a profit, but since my son and I have been working on it has kind of grown on us (wife doesn't know that). The bike was in terrible condition When I brought home and I rode it home about 7km, no front brakes because the master cylinder sight glass was missing, no low beam (someone cut the wire) and the head assy was upside down, mix-match turn signals, seat cover destroyed, tires about flat, chain lapping the swing arm and the exhaust.

The bike is now inspection ready (road legal) and this week or next week it's getting new tires.

Now the questions:

Anything I should know or need to know about a 16 old Ducati?

Any issues at the silver paint flaking off the engine case?

What is the deal with the heat shield/blanket under fuel tank? Can I any type of heat insulation blanket?

If I would flip the bike, what is it worth?

Thanks for the advice,
Todd

·
Registered
524 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the Asylum!

Question 1: Typically no if it was maintained properly, however, your description of the state of the bike seems to suggest otherwise. If you plan on doing all of the work yourself, I would suggest getting a service manual and check/perform all related maintenance.

Question 2: Other than cosmetically, no.

Question 3: I tend to use OEM or very similar to OEM (material, thickness, etc.)

Question 4: Worth will depend on condition and desirability in your market. I haven't been to Japan in quite some time, but non-domestic bikes seemed to carry a higher price there than the do here in the USA.

·
Registered
202 Posts
if you facebook really good s2r only owners forum. over 1000 owners.
the bike is basically bullet proof compared to other models and bikes. super easy to work on . parts are mostly available. lots of cross over between years and models. lots of aftermarket. and some might say the last of the monster as we knew it. full frame. everything after that was just really a slow death.
yes some flaking . no big deal
heat shield is two. heat and sound shield. is it needed, not absolutely but easy to replace with any aftermarket.
flipping the bike. sure, who doesnt want to own a ducati.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Get rid of that heat shield under the tank. It probably has deteriorated to the point that it just disintegrates.
Clean out the fuel tank and replace the fuel filter!
That is a great bike keep it and ride it everyday!

·
Registered
2005 Monster 800 S2R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get rid of that heat shield under the tank. It probably has deteriorated to the point that it just disintegrates.
Clean out the fuel tank and replace the fuel filter!
That is a great bike keep it and ride it everyday!
I actually removed the blanket and since the seams came open and the insulation fell out, I cleaned up the cloth and got some exhaust baffling wrap and cut it to shape, carefully laid it inside the cloth portion of the blanket and sealed the ends back together and reinstalled the blanket.

I'm going to order a new fuel filter, o-rings, the fuel quick-disconnects, fuel line(just going to use automotive FI hose).

New/repaired/replaced items
-seat (old one was torn)
-new turn signals (mix-matched, broken mirror signals)
-new tires
-new brakes pads
-new clutch and frt brake master cylinders (front brake cylinder was missing sight window and not building or holding pressure)
-bleed all hydraulics
-air filter
-chain (sprocket look new)
-bars, mirrors, grips
-rewired headlamp harness (no low beam and the whole assy was installed upside down...smh)
-new rear/foot controls/pegs.
-new vibration dampers and threaded inserts, many were rottened or missing.
-new clutch pack.
-going to check/re-shim the valves this winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts