Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was stuck in very bad traffic again for about an hour. The temp went up to about 328 degrees & the clutch started getting very loose (usually it is hard to pull) and the bike started acting jerky. The bike would stall even if I had the clutch fully engaged. I had to restart the bike about 5 times just to get 10 feet while everyone was beeping at me & one guy tried to tell me to put it in first gear.

Finally, I turned the key into the off position, and restarted it. I was able to get pass the tolls & started riding a bit & the problem stopped. I suspect this problem with stalling is due to overuse of the clutch during traffic. Could it have to do with overheating? ???

I'm due for my 600 mile service soon.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Sounds like it is possible there is some air in the clutch slave. The high temps would make it expand and cause the clutch to drag hence the stalling.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ducpainter said:
Sounds like it is possible there is some air in the clutch slave. The high temps would make it expand and cause the clutch to drag hence the stalling.
My bike is totally stock, didn't make any changes to it since I got it from the dealership except new seat.
:'( I am almost due for my 1st 600 mile service, so I guess I should mention this problem to the dealer?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
A few weeks ago I saw a temp of 320 on my m1000 when stuck in traffic but the bike did not stall and clutch worked ok. That really is as hot as you want the oil to get but in itself should not cause any problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2001 S4 with about 10K on it. I have put about 2K on this year and I ride mostly in the city (start and stop). Until recently my temp has stayed between 170 and 189 but a few days ago it hit 240 when I was at a long light. Just a second after it hit 240 it cut off and the oil light came on. I turned the ignition to the off position (the engine had already cut out) and I waited until the light changed turned the key and it started up fine. Made it home no problem and no problems since.

Should I worry? I should expect no problems at 240 correct??!!?? The only other time I have had it act funny it was just over 210 and the engine began to sputter a bit.

I only use 87 octane from one station (Yes, I have bought gas other places but not in a few months). The bike is pretty much a commuter that occasionally takes a couple hundred mile trip. I had Ducati certified techs go through it at the beginning of December and I have ridden it pretty steady since then. In December thay changed the chain, sprokets, fluids (oil, coolant, brake) and generally gave her a once over.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
wheelgunner said:
I have a 2001 S4 with about 10K on it. I have put about 2K on this year and I ride mostly in the city (start and stop). Until recently my temp has stayed between 170 and 189 but a few days ago it hit 240 when I was at a long light. Just a second after it hit 240 it cut off and the oil light came on.
----------------snip---------------
Any thoughts?
Check to make sure your fans are working, they should come on at 215-220.

Do you have the DP ECU?

My bike is a bit unhappy over 200, it doesn't run very smoothly then.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
TerribleTabo said:
My bike is totally stock, didn't make any changes to it since I got it from the dealership except new seat.
:'( I am almost due for my 1st 600 mile service, so I guess I should mention this problem to the dealer?
Do not wait. Even at those temps, the bike should not be having any clutch problems.

The dealer needs to go through the entire driveline, but an air bubble in the slave sounds like a logical place to start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts