Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the M620 that I just bought for a ride yesterday. Rode around for about an hour yesterday. For the most part it runs great. Two issues:

1) Idle RPM is very low. Around 950 with the choke all the way out with the engine warmed up. Using a bit of choke I can get it to speed up abit. It sputters and lurches at this low RPM. It's incredibly hard to not stall, and I did end up stalling it at a stoplight while slightly leaned over, and I dropped it. Frame slider took all of the hit, thankfully. I ended up getting it onto the sidewalk and got going again, just left the choke out a bit so it wouldn't die on me. How do I raise the idle speed, or is there some other problem?

2) When I pull the clutch in, the oil warning light comes on, and when I release it, it goes off. What gives? The oil was changed by the seller about 700 miles ago. Should I change/add more oil?

·
Registered
663 Posts
According to my research, your bike if fuel injected, and has a fast idle lever, not a choke lever.

Do a search, there are several threads regarding increasing idle speed. Not just a simple turn a screw thing like a carbed bike.

If the idel speed does not increase on fast idle, you have other problems, but hard to give appropriate answer over internet. Fueling problems?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I took the M620 that I just bought for a ride yesterday. Rode around for about an hour yesterday. For the most part it runs great. Two issues:

1) Idle RPM is very low. Around 950 with the choke all the way out with the engine warmed up.
2) When I pull the clutch in, the oil warning light comes on, and when I release it, it goes off.
Take it to shop if you're not 'mechanically inclined' or if you're 'mechacnically inclined' with the bike warmed up, take a flat screwdriver to the idle adjusting screw and very slowly, remember there're two of these, turn them alternating front and rear cylinders, between each adjustment, blip the throttle and let it stabilize, repeat until correct idle speed is reached.

That's how I do it when idle speed magically 'disadjusts'.

Regarding your oil light issue, never had it, but, is the oil lever in the upper mark? Check oil level with bike on a/or as close to horizontal surface, before even starting it. If oil is between lines, then it's OK, if not, add oil, might need to ask seller what brand weight oil he used or even better, buy a new filter and oil and have it changed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I topped it off with 10W-40 Synthetic. Been running great since then, turns out I was short almost a whole quart. The choke may not be an actual choke, I don't know particularly much about engines. I know when it's cold I pull it back to start the bike and the idle RPMs go up. For now, that's what I'm going to do. Where are the screws that adjust idle RPM?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I topped it off with 10W-40 Synthetic. Been running great since then, turns out I was short almost a whole quart. The choke may not be an actual choke, I don't know particularly much about engines. I know when it's cold I pull it back to start the bike and the idle RPMs go up. For now, that's what I'm going to do. Where are the screws that adjust idle RPM?
Look for the throttle bodies, you should see one screw on each side, quite small by the way, that is almost level with the throttle cable linkage, turn on the bike and let it warm up, turn the screw to the left to open up, to the right to close.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts