Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Is having both a 2005 Ducati Monster 1000S & 2002 Ducati Monster S4 almost Redundant?

• Yes, both the bikes are almost the same performance wise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but you could use one for track days

• Yes & No. They are a bit different but go ahead if you like them both

• Don't you have anything better to do with your money? Their are kids starving in Africa!

• No, they each have their own strengths & weaknesses

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is having both a 2005 Ducati Monster 1000S & 2002 Ducati Monster S4 almost Redundant?

I have the M1000S now, but I sort of want to eventually buy a used S4 in the future. I can't seem to justify it, except I want to keep one bike Gloss Black, and the other one Matte Silver. I like both colors, and I thought it would be neat to have a liquid cooled bike for a change. I don't personally like the current double stacked exhausts of the S2R & S4R, so I figured the S4 is the next best thing.

·
Banned
1,800 Posts
If you can do it, do it. One is air cooled and the other is water cooled. Both have different performance characteristics.

And worse case scenario, you can get bored with the other and sell it to me dirt cheap.

Glad I could help.

Ryan

·
Registered
917 Posts
It may not seem like a bad idea at this point, but eventually it might strike you as somewhat silly :)

I've owned a 748 and 998 at the same time

even worse, I've also owned a 996 and a 998 at the same time

seemed ok at the time of purchase ???

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am curious about the seat of pants comparison of the air vs. water cooled Monster,also the seven four nine compaired to the nine nine nine.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes I wonder if you could truly tell the difference while you were riding it in the street?

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I think an M1000 and an S4R would make more sense. Then you would have one bike with less power, less ground clearance, more low end, more relaxed ergos, and better gas mileage for around town and commuting and the other bike with more power, better handling, more aggressive ergos for sporty riding or track days. You can also add a side by side exhaust from Termi or Zard to the S4R.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
TerribleTabo said:
Sometimes I wonder if you could truly tell the difference while you were riding it in the street?
You could tell the difference, but they've both got more than enough power to get you in all the trouble you can stand.
The S4 would be quicker and faster if you keep the revs up, but the M1k will be easier to ride.

I suspect you would end up making a choice between the two, and then selling one to get something *really* different.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i'd probably end up selling one of 'em, and picking up something like an older superbike, or perhaps a dedicated touring bike.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
The pic on the right is not an S4. The S4 has a 4v 916 SBK engine in it. That a 2v Monster. Probably a 620 since there's no oil cooler visable in the pic.

You want this

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
BryanS said:
Um, that is definitely a S4 on the right.... you can see the dry clutch cover very clearly. You can also see the belt covers for the dual cam heads and the endcap of the radiator. If you right click on the photo and look at the properties, you can see that it's a photo linked to from Ducati's site and is titled "S4.jpg"
+1

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Randimus Maximus said:
OH, I changed it to the correct picture after he informed me I made a mistake in my original post! Thanks to all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts