Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider and interested in buying a monster. I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on a 2002 750 vs a 2003 800. The 2002 has some cost benefits. Are there any differences besides engine size... thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
This is all from the owner's and parts manuals, not FHE.
Your mileage may vary.........

11 more HP on the 800; 73 vs. 62. A 620 has 60 HP.
6 speed trans on the 800, vs. 5 speed on the 750.
Adjustable rear suspension pushrod on the 800. Unless you're talking a 750S, then it's got one too.

Other stuff I'm sure............

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have an 02 750. I like it a lot. Its a 5 speed, however I cruise the highway in the top of 4TH gear. I dont generally cruise in 5TH unless I'm cruising above 80 MPH. So my opinion of a 6 speed would be.....why? Whats the advantage? Always wondering what gear your in? Its easy to become one with the gearing of a 5 speed. Point being I feel thats an issue in favor of the 750. But my opinion. And I'm talking about real world usability. The 6 speed would probably benefit the track rider. I prefer the long pulls between gear changes. Thats me.

Horsepower. While I think the 750 is plenty fast, and meets all of my needs in a motorcycle; its very hard to argue an additional 11 ponies. I mean, who would'nt like that? So that is definately in favor of the 800. But you wont miss it if you decide on the 750. Just dont ride an 800 afterward. ;D

The 02 750 will not allow you to start it with the kick stand down. They call that a safety feature. Most of us call that something else #$^%&^%&^$*^$#!!. The 03 800 has eliminated this feature. Definately is in favor of the 800.

Other than these differences, I would base your decision on price. I'll bet you can get a great deal on a leftover 02. Also Ducati is offering incentives to buying the leftovers. I think its a grand off, plus free 600 and 6000 mile services. Nice perks....in favor of the 02 750.

Besides.....I love my 750. I dont think your in a bad spot at all. In fact your in a great spot. You'll win no matter which bike you choose. Welcome to the Monster family.
Ride safe.....
JJ

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi SB,

If you want to buy some new Monster you should buy the M1000DS for the little price difference.

It has more horse power, much more torque, a dual spark engine and so on. Imagine the 620ie a woman and the 1000 a man, so the 800 will be what, a transexual?

A horse power diagram of the new 1000 engine has been done by a german and a french magazine and both came around 97HP without any engine modifications. The strongest 2 valve Ducati ever made! It has just little less torque than the S4 (4Valve), and a Ducati should be driven on torque and not on HP.

The M1000DS is about 1.000$ more. You will get this money back the day when you sell it.

The 1000DS is in my eyes the only option with a 2 valve twin cylinder engine. 4 valve engine, naturally the engine of the 996 in the S4R.

Marc620ieDarkness

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
No disrespect intended, but those dyno numbers are extremely generous.

ducati.com has the power at 84 HP @ 8000rpm.
June 2003 Cycle World confirmed that with 85.3 HP @ 8030rpm.
No slouch, by any means, but not in S4 territory. ducati.com has the S4 at 101 HP @ 8750rpm, and the S4R at 113 HP.

Alex Ortner's got a 95 HP 944 (900), but it's not a "factory issue" motor.
;D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Note that the insurance break is at 750CC. this means you'll be paying as much as a liter bike (1000CC) with the 800 :-/.

Jerome

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good point Jerome...insurance would be more (if you are using a company that increases rates for displacement). Back to the topic of getting an 02' or 03'. I currently have a 02' M750 and was in the same position as you when I was looking to buy one back in March. I decided to go with the left-over red 02' due to the fact I got it for $7400 OTD plus a K&N filter. The best they could do with the 03' 800 wa $7900 plus tax ($8450 OTD). Personally, I don't think the 10 hp gain is worth $1000. You can get a set of cans, high compression pistons, and other stuff with the thousand you save and get more than a 10hp increase.

Good luck with your decision...

·
Registered
312 Posts
@speeddog830

Well, I have the numbers here. I know that this is strange, but I have both newspapers here... I can scan you the sheet and send it to you, for you can see what there is written... the magazine is named Speed Bikes and is a French stunt magazine... They tested the Monster and came exactly at 97,3HP at 7900 rpms.

They also tested the Speed Triple and the Tuono, and they had also but just slightly different results than factory values.

I can send you both, the diagram and the written text. The bikes have not been modificated!

I understand that you will not really believe what I am writing here but it is well known that Ducati's horse power on paper is often under the real power.

Marc620ieDarkness

1 - 9 of 9 Posts