Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2002 Monster 750 Dark won't run without the Gauges plugged in. I just put clubmen bars on it and the gauges are bulky and out of place now. I would like to get a newer custom gauge or gauge cluster but there's obviously some issue with the...cpu? I've read a cpl things about ECU's and reprogramming but still lost. Can u pair an aftermarket gauge with this bike? If so, then how do you get around this issue (I do have my red key.) ? Also, can you go without gauges?

Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
So my 2002 Monster 750 Dark won't run without the Gauges plugged in. I just put clubmen bars on it and the gauges are bulky and out of place now. I would like to get a newer custom gauge or gauge cluster but there's obviously some issue with the...cpu? I've read a cpl things about ECU's and reprogramming but still lost. Can u pair an aftermarket gauge with this bike? If so, then how do you get around this issue (I do have my red key.) ? Also, can you go without gauges?

Thanks!
I used Guzzi Diag to disable the immobilizer, then removed the cluster and haven't had an issue. Just do not lose track of the cluster, because you will need it connected to re-flash the ECU, do a TPS reset, turn off the check engine light, or ever have any immobilizer problems. I would highly recommend getting a 26 pin connector that matches up to the harness. You have way too many wires to tie into in order to make everything work again. Turn signals and everything are run through the cluster and just need to be jumped across pins in order to work.

I can't say that you can really "Pair" aftermarket gauges with the ECU, but just about any programmable speedo and tach will work. You've just got some wiring to sort through first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume programming the speedo isn’t too gnarly? Awesome thanks!
I used Guzzi Diag to disable the immobilizer, then removed the cluster and haven't had an issue. Just do not lose track of the cluster, because you will need it connected to re-flash the ECU, do a TPS reset, turn off the check engine light, or ever have any immobilizer problems. I would highly recommend getting a 26 pin connector that matches up to the harness. You have way too many wires to tie into in order to make everything work again. Turn signals and everything are run through the cluster and just need to be jumped across pins in order to work.

I can't say that you can really "Pair" aftermarket gauges with the ECU, but just about any programmable speedo and tach will work. You've just got some wiring to sort through first.
Also another question, I tried my pipes out with no muffler and they were loud but sounded great until I rev’d it a bit then I get this screaching noise like the engine is about to explode. A sound that I’ve never heard from any bike. U ever hear of this? Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I assume programming the speedo isn’t too gnarly? Awesome thanks!

Also another question, I tried my pipes out with no muffler and they were loud but sounded great until I rev’d it a bit then I get this screaching noise like the engine is about to explode. A sound that I’ve never heard from any bike. U ever hear of this? Thanks.
No, generally they're not too difficult to program. The good news is that the sensor at the rear wheel is powered by the dash and sends the signal directly back to the dash. No ECU involved. I believe it puts out 2 pulses per revolution. So I think it ended up around 5900 pulses per mile. It will take a little tweaking regardless. A GPS speedo on your phone can help you get it right on the money. But you definitely have to get that connector, or you'll wind up with a total mess of wiring. Plus you need to keep the ability to plug in the old dash if needed. I assume you have access to a wiring diagram. You'll need it. I got the connector pictured below. I don't really like it, it was expensive, and it took forever to get here from China or wherever. I found a different style (Straight, not a 90 degree angle) I'm gonna go with when I rework the front end here pretty soon after I finish up with the motor's yearly physical. I'll probably get a handful if I'm going to go through the trouble of ordering them. Maybe I can fix you up with one.

I don't know what to tell you about the noise without hearing it. All I know is you need at least a little back pressure for things to work right.

Screenshot_20200731-015053~01.png

·
Registered
962 Posts
You can always do a video so we can hear the noise in order to diagnose it. Hopefully the engine doesn’t explode while you’re recording.😉

1 - 6 of 6 Posts