Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to buy a used 2002 with 18k miles. not sure when the next servicing due is on this bike. would want to buy a bike and have to turn around and drop 2k in servicing. at the same time, im being offered a 2006 s2r with 1k miles between 6.5-7k. any suggestions??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not to crazy about the yellow but the price and milage is right. intrested in a red or dark in south florida, central area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts
ducatimiami07 said:
looking to buy a used 2002 with 18k miles. not sure when the next servicing due is on this bike.
They're due for services every 6k miles, with some extra stuff (mainly cambelts) at every second one, so I'd check to see if its had the 18k service done, and also make sure it had the 12k service done and had the belts changed. Its also considered good practice to change the belts every 12k miles _OR_ 2 years, whichever comes first, so I'd look for dates on the 12k service recipits too, if that was more than 2 years ago (which it sounds like it might be on an '02 bike with 18k miles on it), then I'd be budgeting for new belts and working that in to the price too...

As to how much the services cost, it's _very_ dependant on where you are - prices in Manhattan are very different to prices in Bangkok - I'd ask in your appropriate local club for mechanic recommendations and approximate prices...

big
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,465 Posts
With 18k on the engine, personally I think the asking price is a little high...depending on how much after market stuff is on it.

Tanya
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the owner claims not to have any service records. original owner did not have the recipts. bike has carbon fiber pipes and carbon fiber belly plate and after martket seat with italian flag on it. what would be a resonable price for this bike considering 18k servcing has to be done? i know ducati miami is expensive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,465 Posts
Seriously? I'd look for a different one, but that's just me. No service records with that many miles is scary to me, unless he doesn't mind letting you take it to a shop to have it looked over, but still that costs $$.

Follow your gut, if you have a good feeling about it then do it. Don't just jump on it because you want it now and don't want to wait. Just listen to your gut.

Tanya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
ducatimiami07 said:
not to crazy about the yellow but the price and milage is right.
I have plenty of cans of Krylon that can fix that. ;D

Just joking, thats cool, yellow is not my favorite color either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
No receipts? No records? No nothing? How long has this guy had it? Did he have the 18K done? Or did the previous owner roll over the 18K mark? If he rolled over the mark, he should have the paperwork (or at least refer you to the shop that did it). If the previous owner rolled over 18K, sold it, and now this guy is selling it, I'd be leery of the offer. If no one's done the 18K service, I think I'd keep looking or expect him to drop the price a bunch. Call Duc Miami and ask them the cost of an 18K service for the bike. Take that price and drop it from what you were willing to offer for it and round down (time and trouble) a bit. After all that, you should be looking at < $3500 for the bike.

Those aftermarket bits are pretty common on any used monster. The seat is probably a Sargent (good seat). Pipes could be any number of brands.

Price seems a bit high and he seems a bit sketchy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
Price seems a bit high and he seems a bit sketchy.
exactly,
I have the same bike, a year newer, and a whole hell of a lot less miles for the same price.
so it's yellow, send the parts to Dp or Shark, the money you would spend on the service for the other one can go toward the paint job.

I'm just making an observation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,465 Posts
Oh, and about the color. I went from red...the fastest color, to yellow, the most fun color. I hated yellow, it was the color I wanted the least. Then I found my bike and on a whim bid on it and had my red bike sold within a day.

I wouldn't change the color on this bike now...it just fits. But if the color is a major problem for you, consider the cost on repainting a tank...not very much in the scheme of things, really. Good luck. [thumbsup]

Tanya

edit: Damnit motogpfan, yer too quick!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
motogpfan said:
exactly,
I have the same bike, a year newer, and a whole hell of a lot less miles for the same price.
so it's yellow, send the parts to Dp or Shark, the money you would spend on the service for the other one can go toward the paint job.

I'm just making an observation.
uhh huh... conflicting priorities.... lol. [cheeky]

But, he's right. That bike better have a whole bunch of goodies and be super clean to reflect the price.

T-byrd said:
Oh, and about the color. I went from red...the fastest color, to yellow, the most fun color. I hated yellow, it was the color I wanted the least. Then I found my bike and on a whim bid on it and had my red bike sold within a day.

I wouldn't change the color on this bike now...it just fits. But if the color is a major problem for you, consider the cost on repainting a tank...not very much in the scheme of things, really. Good luck. [thumbsup]

Tanya
What is it, <$400 to have a tank painted? <$600 including the cowl and windscreen? But, that's just a guess.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone. painting is definately an option. motogp, your bike is in florida??? anyone know the difficulty level of painting a 2006 s2r black tangerine stripe back to just black. the tank letters are in orange as well, i guess a ducati decal can be placed there in the ducati letters cant be repainted back on the bike. i would like the black with perhaps silver stripe and silver letters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
If no one's done the 18K service, I think I'd keep looking or expect him to drop the price a bunch.
I wouldn't neccessarily expect the 18k service to have been done (though I would definitely expect the asking price to reflect the fact that it needs doing), but I'd be _very_ uneasy if no-one could provide proof of at least the 12k service having been done...

big
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
I bought my '03 in Miami about 2 months ago after looking around for a few months. Don't settle for something your not sure about. Mine had about 11K miles but had every receipt from day one, so I felt very comfortable about buying it, I payed $4300 for it, I probable could have found something a little cheaper but this one just felt right after looking at several bikes. By the way I was at Ducati Miami on sat. and they told me my 12K mile service would be between 600-800 dollars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
okay, please bear with me here...all of you say without service records, you would be scared off...now, as a newbie, I would think as long as oil has been changed,(could be done at home easily enough) and the valves are not clacking why be so scared? it seems to be the valvetrain on these bikes is finicky, but as long as it is running good, all should be okay, no? (i'm not saying keep on riding it without doing the recommended service) but get the belts replaced & valves checked & you're good to go?

...I know i am probably missing something that you all know already...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
NODNARB said:
okay, please bear with me here...all of you say without service records, you would be scared off...now, as a newbie, I would think as long as oil has been changed,(could be done at home easily enough) and the valves are not clacking why be so scared? it seems to be the valvetrain on these bikes is finicky, but as long as it is running good, all should be okay, no? (i'm not saying keep on riding it without doing the recommended service) but get the belts replaced & valves checked & you're good to go?

...I know i am probably missing something that you all know already...
no nothing tends to point towards a delinquent owner, but that's just a generalization. i think most of us who are saying that we would pass are saying that the situation you've got there doesn't really feel right to us and we'd go along and find a better situation...

I wouldn't knock yellow till you try it ;)
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top