Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

2002 M750 ECU issues?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sadtaco 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm working on my 2002 Ducati Monster 750 that I just picked up.

I think may not getting power to my ECU because I have one immobilizer fault flash (which means it is not communicating with the ECU) and I do not have a the check engine light on when the engine is off. It doesn't behave any differently when I pull the connector plugs off of it ECU as well and I do not hear the fuel pump cycling. The start button also does not do anything (which I pulled apart and tested along with the starter solenoid)

Does anybody have any ideas where to start looking for ECU power other than the fuse? I did pull 12v at the ECU fuse on both sides so I know I have power there. I'm just not sure it's getting to the ECU

So far I have checked and verified the following are functional on their own, off the bike.
-Fuel pump
-x2 relays next to battery
-Starter
-Starter solenoid
-All fuses
-Right hand control switches

I really think its coming down to an issue with the ecu not getting power which is disabling the starter and the 2nd relay which controls the fuel pump/injectors etc. The immobilizer flashing the code saying the serial connection between the cluster and ECU help support me theory.

Does anyone have a PDF of a workshop manual or wiring diagram for the 2002 M750? it seems like they have all disappeared online :/

See less See more
#2 ·
something that may help,

One fault flash can also mean immobilizer is blank or reprogrammed. The sign is, 'duration' of initial flash. ie. a 2 second duration single flash means it is blank. here explained in more detail;

Checking for correct immobiliser programming:

You can check the immobiliser for correct programming as follows:

1. insert the Red key into the key operated ignition switch

2. turn the switch to the "On" position.

The LED will now perform a series of flashing sequences with a short pause in-between:

First sequence
The LED flashes once. Duration indicates whether the immobiliser is blank or has been programmed. A 2-second pulse indicates a blank immobiliser (this occurs when one step of the programming procedure has not been performed within the specified time limit). The procedure will have to repeated.

Second sequence
The LED flashes quickly (0.7 seconds pulses) and repeatedly to indicate how many keys have been stored. When programming is correct, the LED will flash three times.

Third sequence
This sequence indicates a system fault:
•if the system is OK, the LED stays off;
•the LED flashes once to indicate that the serial connection is missing (this is the direct connection - through the main wiring - between engine control unit and immobiliser control unit in the instrument panel);
•the LED flashes twice to indicate that the key in the switch, or the immobiliser antenna, or both, are faulty;
•the LED flashes three times to indicate that the system does not recognize the key you have inserted;
•the LED flashes four times to indicate that the engine control unit has been programmed, but the immobiliser is blank.

In either case, the engine will not start.

Fourth sequence

•the LED stays off if engine ignition is enabled;
•the LED comes on and stays on if engine ignition is inhibited.

#3 ·
I may still have the ECU from my 02 M750; if you cant get yours working right I could sell it for cheap. I think I still have the red key for it too; you would just need the ignition, antenna, and probably gauge cluster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.