Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my '02 M750 back from the shop to learn that replacement cluster #2 is DOA, just like replacement cluster #1 and the original cluster. I'm a little frustrated, so I thought I'd check and see how widespread this really was... Any funny stories, please share; I could use a laugh right now :)

M.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
First set foggyed up at 2000-3000 miles. Second set foggyed up at 10000 miles. Third set was a dud. Fourth set has about 1000 miles on it.

There seems to be something of a pattern here...

btw, this is a very common warranty item...the dealer doesn't even blink.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
My friends S4 1st one cracked, 2nd one lasted about 94 miles and then freeked out and bike wouldnt start.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
scooby, you and me both, so far I haven't had any of the problems others are having----KNOCK ON THAT WOOD!!!!

M

·
0 Posts
I watched them remove my 02 750D from crate, they started up and tach quit working in 2 seconds. speedo lasted 2 miles when needle fell off. They replaced at 1st service as a noted recall, Have put 500 more miles with 0 problems. Bike was manufactored on 7/01 bought on 7/03.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
For some reason I was under the impression that the immobolizer system was tied into the cluster, meaning to replace the cluster you would have to replace the whole ignition and all that other drama that goes with that dumb (in my opinion) immobilizer system. I hope im wrong cause if I cant find a new top cover for my cluster I may have to get a new one. Hey anyone on here that could score me a "foggy" or a good front gauge cluster cover from a bad cluster I would be super happy and pay you nicely for the part. I need one bad!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe someone (forget who) makes a replacement ECU for remapping which has the added benefit of disabling the immobilizer. That would obviously be step 1 in retrofitting an older cluster. OK, "retro" isn't the correct term in this case, but I didn't take Latin in high school like the cool kids. :)

M.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I have 6500 miles on my '03 M800 Dark and no problems with the gauges yet. When you say your gauges "fog up", do you mean with condensation or the plastic discolors? Here in San Francisco my guages tend to fog up in the morning about 1/3 of the time and clear our with a mile or two. Dunno if that's similar to your problem or not...

-Jordan

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
got caught in rain and half the odometer stopped working on the first one
out of the box, speedo needle stuck at 80 mph on the 2nd one
oil temp flakey on the 3rd
4th is good so far, but only have 300 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I don't know about Ducati's specifically, and I haven't had any other bike newer than an '84 before this one, but on every bike I've ever had the gauges would fog up. This has always seemed normal to me and it's never caused a problem. The way the gauges are made they don't seem tight to begin with on the Duc, so it really doesn't surprise me that there is moisture in there. I don't think it should hurt anything, but I dunno...

-Jordan

N

·
0 Posts
When I first pick up my bike 2002 M900(brand new)on the ride home I noticed that some of the segments on the LCD were missing. ALso the warning lights were fogged. Well after about 30mi (55mile ride home) the LCD started working, no problems since 300mi. Warning lights are also fine. I may be because it was inside air condition showroom and was taken outside into 90+ degrees and almost raining humidity.

V

·
0 Posts
i have an '02 m750. speedometer needle was busted already from ducati. so they had ordered the new part when they prepped my bike. rode for about 2weeks w/o knowing how fast i was going. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts