Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First of all I'm a new member of this forum. I have 1 year of experience in riding bikes, and currently have a Yamaha V-Star 650.

I don't own a Ducati yet, but am planning to get one. I have found a pretty good deal (me thinks) for a 2002 Dark 620i.e. with 19000 km onboard. I know the bike was not trashed, damaged in any accidents and it was not used too much.

My question is related firstly to the gearbox noise and engine noise. On this bike the engine/gearbox when idling sounds like a "shaking can of nuts&bolts", almost I can hear the gears rotating in there. It is a totally different sound than on other bikes I've heard. Is it a normal sound for the 620i.e.? I understand that a dry clutch sounds like that but this model has a wet clutch. Also I could hear the valves ticking at idle speed.

I'm almost sure that the current owner never serviced the bike more than oil/filter/spark plugs/brake pads change. He didn't mention about changing the belts. Is it a problem?

Any other things I should check on this bike?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Well they do definitely sound noisier than other bikes, so some degree of 'nuts n' bolts' is normal.

there is a service interval at 10K km that involves valve adjustment, i'd be wary if this has not been done.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually valve clearance check has been done at 10K km. He's done all the service at a Ducati workshop. So I assume the service was done according to the maintenance book.

·
Registered
320 Posts
03' 620 here, and yes a very different sound than anything else out there. As stated above, make sure valve check was completed at proper interval. Most shops check belts at the interval as well, so see if owner has paperwork to validate.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your advice. I'll test-ride it today and will decide.

Do you know where can I get a service manual for this model? Either for download (electronic format) or for buying (hard copy) would be good.

Best Regards,
Dan

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have not found a service manual for download, however, they sell the Snyder manual on the DML and most recently a revised version of the Haynes manual has come out. I have the Snyder one and seems to be pretty straight forward and plan on getting the other soon since I want to tackle the valve adj. myself. good luck on the purchase.

B.T.W- If purchased, must post pics or you will be flogged.

Erik

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
like everyone has said, there are 'normal' sounds to the duc, go find a dry clutched ducati and THEN come back to the 620, you'll think it's like a baby sleeping...

some degree of valve noise is normal and you'll hear it while riding too

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ya can find a manual [HAYNES] for your bike at [ www.themotorbookstore.com]. I just got one for the 05/620 Monster for $28.00. The manual is hard covered and full of tips and tricks for the mechanically challenged. Lots of pictures with step by step instructions and degree of difficulty chart to challenge your wrenching skills.Very well put together.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally I got the bike last week and it's a whole different world than the previous cruiser I had. I've done around 200 km so far and still not used with the different noises it makes. Especially with the gear noises coming when in 4th and 5th gear.

One other issue: I cannot check the oil level, since the little check window is always moist (looks like white foam but probably is condensation). So how do I check the oil level in this case, especially that when the engine heats up (around 90 Celsius) sometimes the warning light is on?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
utzelu said:
Finally I got the bike last week and it's a whole different world than the previous cruiser I had. I've done around 200 km so far and still not used with the different noises it makes. Especially with the gear noises coming when in 4th and 5th gear.

One other issue: I cannot check the oil level, since the little check window is always moist (looks like white foam but probably is condensation). So how do I check the oil level in this case, especially that when the engine heats up (around 90 Celsius) sometimes the warning light is on?
The window is for show anyway on the 620.

'03 620 here..different sounding YES but when you have after market pipes on it and no dry clutch noise..sounds good!! [thumbsup]

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
utzelu said:
Whoa, there. Be very specific. What warning light is on and when? If the oil warning light is on, shut off the bike. Oil starvation can grenade your engine. The window is NOT for show.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's the oil warning light. Since I have the bike (a week), it was lit on only twice, and that's when I was ridding in town at slow speed (waiting on traffic lights etc.). After I shut the engine off and wait for 5 mins, restart it, the light if off.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
IZ said:
You can see there is oil in it after its started. I meant that you can't check levels with the window.
huh? I'm not trying to bash here at all, but want to make sure correct info is out there.

when the bike is started, you won't see much in the oil window, the proper way to check oil is with the bike off and warmed up, and you use the window to check the proper oil level, so I'm not sure what you mean...

the condensation problem will go away with a couple of longer rides, just go take a few long rides and it should go away. It's a common issue with people who do short trips infrequently.

as for the oil light, did you recently wash the bike or ride through rain, etc? maybe the previous owner washed the bike before handing over to you?

hopefully this is the case as it's common for water to get into the connector for the oil pressure switch. If this is the case, pull the switch connector, dry it out with some compressed air, pack with dieletric grease and try again.

If this is NOT the case, please make sure you do not have a real oil pressure problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually I did wash the bike on Saturday and had the second oil warning light yesterday. The first one was before washing it.

I use the bike most of the time for short trips to/from work (5 km each way), and maybe a 50-100 km trip on weekends.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
utzelu said:
Actually I did wash the bike on Saturday and had the second oil warning light yesterday. The first one was before washing it.

I use the bike most of the time for short trips to/from work (5 km each way), and maybe a 50-100 km trip on weekends.
yeah, those are way short trips... clean out the sensor connector and pack with dielectric grease, then ride a couple of long rides

you can install an aftermarket crankcase breather on the bike as well to help the white condensation problem, seems to cure that up pretty good too

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It seems odd that a bike with Ducati's pedigree to have condensation problems on such a basic device (oil check window). My previous 10 years old Yamaha didn't have such problems.

Where can I get the crankcase breather from?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
utzelu said:
It seems odd that a bike with Ducati's pedigree to have condensation problems on such a basic device (oil check window). My previous 10 years old Yamaha didn't have such problems.

Where can I get the crankcase breather from?
it's not really a problem with the bike, it's about having the oil at a heat level long enough for the condensation to boil off (someone smarter than me will correct me if I'm wrong here).

Like I said, longer rides and really put her through the paces like she wants to be ridden and you'll never have the problem again ;)

you don't really need the breather unless yours is leaking, which does happen from time to time, but if you're like me and just want to replace the ol plastic thing there, the Nichols or STM units seem to be fairly popular (I have a Nichols) and I believe motowheels may have a couple of others.

www.ca-cycleworks.com is where to get the nichols unit and www.motowheels.com is the place for the STM or other brands. Just check our sponsors to the left there
<----

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi. I own a 620 dark -03. and it´s a great bike. sure it sounds like it´s broken but that´s the sound of DUCATI. The bigger bikes sound even more ;D
I took my bike to my local dealer so they could listen to it. . hahaha. It´s a nice bike to start with i´m thinking of upgrade to a S4R ;D good luck and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.