Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my rear brake triggers the light but the front brake doesn't so i did a search on the forums...

so far, i've taken apart the front lever and i can hit the switch with my finger and it works great. i put it all back together, i use the lever and i can hear the switch activate, but the light is pretty unreliable.

any ideas what is going on?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i've gone deeper and found and disconnected the connectors behind the headlight and now things are more confusing.

if i short the cables going directly to the brake light, it lights up just fine.

if i short the cables from the microswitch, my meter tells me they are connected/disconnected when i activate the switch.

if i connect the cables together nothing works.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
If you have confirmed that the micro switch is faulty then I would recommend replacement of the brake reservoir banjo bolt with a hydraulic switch. These are pretty readily available and are much more reliable than the micro switch. Try Bevel Heaven or you local shop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
well, i haven't confirmed that the microswitch is faulty. my meter tells me it is working because the circuit opens and closes as i press and depress the switch. am i missing something?

either way, the existing system doesn't look to awesome. do you have a part number for the replacement switch?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i went ahead and replaced everything from the switch all the way to the connections behind the headlights and now everything works. my guess is that the switch was fine, but the cabling either at the switch or to the connectors behind the light had degraded.

to those who need to know what exactly was done, i got the mini switch from radio shack (model: 275-016, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049718).

i removed the metal bit on top and soldered some 20 gauge wire to the end posts (ignore the middle post). i taped that up, and ran the wires through the same path and casing as the old wiring. i used some zip ties to secure it.

then i added 20 gauge snap male connectors to the ends and inserted those into female connectors behind the headlights -- polarity didn't seem to matter. i taped all that up as well but probably shoulda used shrink covers.

all in all, it was a pretty easy fix. if you have very basic mechanical skills and can solder, you should be able to replace it. message me if you have any questions.

the bigger lesson here is to always check lights before a ride and always use your rear brake when stopping.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I was the one who recommended junking the microswitch.

The switch is often fine off the bike, but its method of activation via a small plastic button in the brake bracket is problematic. Have a look at how the brake lever activates the switch. Does the switch activate the brake light when removed from the lever mounting but still connected into the circuit? My bike is a 1995 M900

1 - 6 of 6 Posts