Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-- I'll be walking into my local dealer next week with a pocket of cash to purchase one of their last remaining 2002 620 Dark's and I remember seeing or reading on the ducati site perhaps about a price reduction? Maybe not because I cant find it....but I was wondering what a few of you paid or could suggest I offer the dealer...and if it is ok to work him on the setup and or delivery charges or basically just some last minute advice.
I am aware there is little play on bikes in general, but any advice would be appreciated from a veteran buyer.... thanks!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I bought my 2002 620 dark out the door for 5,200 in March of this year. Brand new in the crate. Only other cost was shipping b/c it was an out of state dealer -- that cost less than 300. Personally, I wouldn't go over 5K out the door and you could probably do even better than that since they are likely desperate to get ride of a last year's model this late into the year. good luck and keep us posted...
mike

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
What about tax and licensing in your state? Including that would be the true "out the door" cost.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I paid $5400 last year for an 02 620 dark left-over. The price reduction was on the Ducati website in a press release. There is essentially a dealer rebate that not all dealers will pass on.

I agree that $5k is all I would go for an 02 at this point. No prep charges and no delivery charges (unless you are having the bike shipped to you and then I'd price things myself). Getting a title,paying tax and getting plates is easy in most states. You get a document with the bike that looks like a title but is a certificate of origin. DMV takes that and gives you the title. If they want $$ for doing paperwork, I'd do that part myself. Leave the bike at the dealers for one day while you get the title and tags and then ride it home.

Stick to your guns. Cycletrader.com has 2 new 02's listed. One in Pheonix and one in Tulsa. The Tulsa dealer has a price of $5499 listed. If your dealer balks, call Pheonix and Tulsa and see what they will do. I bet they will be closer to the $5k mark. Shipping (depending where you live) is not that expensive and is an easy way to get a bike home. I had mine pallet shipped to my door. They roled it off the truck and into my garage.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Southern California and I think theres a mark up out here not found in other states perhaps

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I know of a used '03 620 in perfect condition that will be on the market soon. ;)

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my local dealer is trying to hit me with a $300 plus shipping (from Ducati) fee plus a $300 plus bike setup fee (he went into detail about how they have timed it a 2 hours from the time they uncrate it to its on the floor...blah blah blah)
It this normal? Im sorry for the total newbie-ness here but I want to make sure im not taking it in the *ss for something I shouldnt have to pay for....

thanks

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
That sounds about normal. I wouldn't worry about all the additional charges, but just focus on the out the door cost. They can play with the additional prep/doc fees all day. I would concentrate on negotiating the total number.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually picked one up private party for $4,000. It had a dented tank and only 375 miles on it. The seller didn't want it after it tipped over at a stop. The tank and other bits are in the shop for paint. So I got an almost new bike with a new paint job for less than new. ;)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I bought my 02 620 when they first came out. Asking price was $6500 back then and I think I got mine for $5800.

The key is to walk in with a plan. I like to deal "out the door" prices. Like you said, there's not much play, but there is some. If the dealer is asking $5000 and then tacking on all the tax, title, handling, delivery, etc, you'll soon be paying $6000 or more. I'd say offer $5000 or less tops, especially if you can pay cash for it. Then, if he says no, walk out.

If he doesn't call in a couple days, call him back and make the same offer. If he says "meet me at $5500" tell him you'll meet him at $5250 if he throws in the 600mile maintenance or a new helmet or something for free.

I did this for my 620 and got a pretty decent deal. I tried it for my S4R and didn't get such a great deal, but still saved myself over $1000. Just don't be afraid to walk out.

If that doesn't work, I'll sell you my 620. It's got a pile of mods already...you just have to ship it from Hawaii...good luck!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even after shipping and everything......right now Honolulu is offering '02's at 5499 to clear the showroom floor. They are moving fast. (The dark models only) Otherwise 5999 which is still great for Hawaii.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
nofx...are you in Hawaii?????

·
Registered
259 Posts
The add-on fees are the motorcyle world's equivalent to having your new car undercoated. You do not need to pay these. Most do on new bikes in the new model year. On left-overs, you can forget about paying for uncrating, servicing, shipping from ducati, etc. Dealers pray on new riders. If they are going to screw you on the bike's price, then forget about them and move on. Their service is going to stink and be over-priced.

Tulsa to California is not a far ship and should not be more than $500. The Tulsa bike at $5400+500ish - still keeps you way under $6k to your door. Stick to your guns and explore all your options If you get money off the Tulsa price, you are probably cheaper then you idiot local dealer (who has to service your bike regardless of where you bought it from).

·
Registered
856 Posts
$5599.00 free 600 and 6000 service

I couldn't get them to budge on the damn set up charge $300 and another $300 for another BS thing

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I went in there today and was told that $5500 (my offer) was below invoice and that there is NO WAY he would sell for that price.

At which point I said well I have 2 dealers out of state dealing at that price ponit and perhaps they are selling low to get rid of old stock...

To which he replied...theres no way a dealer would do that, the monster is the top selling bike Ducati has and ....blah blah blah

So he said the best he could do on the 2002 620 Dark is $6554.15

I HATE living in Los Angeles everything is overpriced and consumers consistatly take it in the *ss....

Your thoughts?

I'm thinking about going in there next week and dropping (literally) $6000
on the desk and say, Take it ir leave it...

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I visited all ducati dealerships in Los Angeles and I got 2002 Ducati 620 Dark for 6600$ cash. I got it on Dec. 4 2003. So I think you are getting very good deal for LA.

·
Registered
259 Posts
So what about buying the bike from Tulsa or Pheonix?

$5k plus shipping and you are still south of $6k. Plus, it will be delivered to your door. All you need to do is drive down to the DMV, pay the taxes and get a plate.

We have a similar dealer here in DC and they sit on bikes forever. They have ridiculous prices and do not budge. They probably make 3 to 4 times the profit that other guys make so they only need 1/4 of the people who come in to just give in an pay them to make a similar amount of $$. Plus their service is outrageous.

If you are going to pay full price and pay his ridiculopus add-ons, you mights as well buy an '04. There is no reason to pay a premium on an '02, when you can get a 6-speed gear box and twin-dics up front on the '04.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't see any reason to let them rob you when there are plenty of good bikes out there at decent dealers willing to ship anywhere in the country. Shipping on a tail lift truck from NY to St. Louis (and into my garage), cost less than 300 and took less than 4 days (left friday and had it in the garage on Monday). Here's where I bought it, Williamsville Competition:
http://www.worldbikes.com/wcompetition/
182 S. Main St.,Holland, NY, 14080 USA Phone: (716) 537-2309 Fax: (716) 537-2855 E-mail Invited

Guess what, I just called Al there -- he's the owner and the guy I worked with when I bought mine. He says he'll sell you a 2003 620D, new in the box, for [call him] plus shipping to LA -- don't know what that is, but its gotta be less than $500. He does all the dealer prep and crap, recrates it and ships it to you. All you do is remove the crate, put on the mirrors and bars and gas her up. I was riding within an hour of the truck pulling up.

Al is a really quality guy. I've posted about him before - I could not be happier with him or the deal he made for me. He's not making much on these bikes, so its not worth dicking around with him. He will treat you right, though.

If you call him, tell him Mike Marrah in St. Louis sent you. I don't get a kickback or anything, but I want him to know that I appreciate what he did for me and that I'm passing his name along to list.

-Mike

1 - 20 of 47 Posts