Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help finding someone close to W.Mass just north of Springfiield that can help repair this frame. My insurance company totaled the bike because the adjuster said I needed a whole frame without even pulling off the seat and looking at it. I got a little over 7K back from the insurance company and was able to purchase the bike back for $1800.00 (what a bargain).If anyone out there knows of someone that is good at this stuff and can help me out would be great.If the frame cannot be repaired my next option is to cut it just in front of oh **** straps and try to recreate the modification like Joe Tessitore did on his S4. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
wow that doesnt look so bad. I wonder how strong the frame is in that area ??? Could one possibly straighten it with maybe a lil brut force and a pry bar ???

·
Registered
8,800 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
Cyclopes said:
wow that doesnt look so bad. I wonder how strong the frame is in that area ??? Could one possibly straighten it with maybe a lil brut force and a pry bar ???
[thumbsup]

that's how we used to fix the subframes on our CBR racebikes.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
I did the same thing to my frame. A frame straightener fixed it.

That said, the original shop was concerned b/c they said that a tweaked subframe--how do I explain this?--can mask tweaks or flexes in the rest of the frame. So, once you pull off the frame and try to straighten the subframe, it can get straight, but it introduced flex into other parts of the frame.

It didn't end up happening in my case, but it's something to be aware of. Which is why I'd stay away from the DIY pry bar technique. I'd take it to a frame guy. Ask the NEMHA folks who to go to.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Pm me. I can recommend someone to take it to.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Spidey said:
I did the same thing to my frame. A frame straightener fixed it.

That said, the original shop was concerned b/c they said that a tweaked subframe--how do I explain this?--can mask tweaks or flexes in the rest of the frame. So, once you pull off the frame and try to straighten the subframe, it can get straight, but it introduced flex into other parts of the frame.

It didn't end up happening in my case, but it's something to be aware of. Which is why I'd stay away from the DIY pry bar technique. I'd take it to a frame guy. Ask the NEMHA folks who to go to.
same frame damage to mine, it was fixable and I got lucky too as the rest of the frame was ok. Bonus was that my seat latches sooo much better now! haha

fwiw, the pry bar technique did NOT work AT ALL, and trust me, I tried. The frame repairer had to heat the sections he needed to bend

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I'm with the prybar, force it crowd. I fixed one with similar damage a long time ago by using a 6' bar on each side & just flexed it back into shape. There's really noting to it & you can't screw anything up.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I contacted Peter Kates at G.M.D. Computrack Boston. He told me that he would have no problem fixing the frame and he estimated the cost of repair to no more than $150. I have emailed all the top end autobody shops in my area but I think I will truck the bike 90 miles to south of Boston and let the professionals do it. Thanks again to ducpainter for the information.I would love to take it up to Laconia to see Doug Cook but Computrack is 90 miles away.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
you can't beat that price

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was surprised myself when he quoted me the price but these guys are an international company and have been around a while.They specialize in frame and suspension work mostly setups for race bikes and repairing bent frames from high speed wrecks. check out there website at www.computrackboston.com they have different facilities throughout the country like CA,PA,FL,CT and MA. I have an appoinment early next week and they said it should not take more than a day in the shop so I am going to make a day of it. Hopefully they allow me in the shop to watch the magic. I will post pictures of the finished product when I get the bike home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts