Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question,I noticed my clutch fluid is dark..I mean like black - aka dot 5 looking.

Can you use Dot 5(Ithink that is what is used in harley brakes, silicone based) in the clutch ? I thought you should use DOT 4.

Is my clutch system hosed if I flush it and use normal stuff ?

HELP, what can I do ?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey dude,
believe it or not, that's "normal"... and it's actually something of a mystery. i'm sure your s4's got dot4 running in it, but even if you flush and use a fresh batch of the stuff, you'll see it darken over time.
one theory involves the clutch slave cylinder. the ducati bit isn't quite _perfect_ and some folks think that some grit/grime/kakka manages to get past the seals, and into the fluid. if anybody with a positively sealed aftermarket unit can speak to their experience, this may be the case. regardless, i flush the fluid at least once/year to keep it fresh. remember dot4 absorbes water, so if there's any condensation in the line or reservoir, it sucks it in, which reduces it's performance. i typically flush at the beginning of the season.
as a tip, don't flush the system out and then fill... you'll just be creating more work for yourself in bleeding out the air. instead, bleed out the slave cylinder and top off the reservoir as you go (having an assistant could make this much easier). when you start to get fresh-n-tasty fluid out of the slave, you'll have flushed out all the gunky stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I heard somewhere that the heat of the engine also contributes to the color of the clutch fluid. Not to discredit the gunk explonation. It does get frustrating flushing the clutch only to have it get black again. But your clutch is fine. Ride it.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
My clutch fluid still gets dark, and I've got a Yoyodyne slave cylinder.

It could well be the heat. The brakes get hot too, but you're really not pumping much fluid back and forth, mostly just compressing what's there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts