Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a lightly used 2001 Monster 750 Dark, carbureted engine with NO mods on ANYTHING. 5900 miles on the odometer, 500 of them mine. Lightly touched down on the left-hand side prior to my ownership resulting in no mechanical damage and no operational deficiencies. However, on Saturday, October 28 I was riding from Queens, New York to Manhattan and the low gas light flashed on. I was late to work and didn't have time to fill it immediately so I parked on the street and ended up spending the night in Manhattan for an early work call Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon I warmed the bike up and did some cleaning. Shut it down after 5 minutes and returned several hours later for the ride home to Queens. Bike started with no problems and I made it 20 blocks toward the gas station when it ran out of gas. Pushed it the remaining half mile and filled the tank. Bike refused to fully start from that point forward. Would catch and turn over for 15 seconds at very low idle (800rpms) a couple times but mostly just cranked and kind of caught. I assumed a problem with the fuel line but as it was just last night I haven't had an opportunity to get into it and I'd rather have guidance than just begin hacking into it. Plus, I'm flying out to Los Angeles tomorrow and the bike's following on a truck so I'm going to be tearing it apart once I get to LA. I'm mechanically competent and have decent tools and intend to take care of all the minor to moderate maintenance myself for the life of my bike. I've rebuilt the carbs on my GS400 several times and am open to whatever suggestions are available.

Kent

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Give er abit of carb spray down the carb throats. Sometimes this will get it running enough to prime the fuel pump.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
If ducman's trick doesn't work, drain the carbs and see what comes out. You might have sucked up some water when you ran out of gas. You will see two plastic lines coming down the right side of the engine by the oil sight glass. Follow them up to the carb float bowls. Where they connect to the carbs you will see 8 (i think) mm hex heads. They are the drains.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
also check your fuel filter(s). when you run the tank that empty sometimes you'll gum up your filters with silt, water, small furry rodents, etc.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds good, i had to ship it from new york before i was able to get into the carbs but the bike arrives in la shortly so i'll give a progress report. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How do you clean carburetors?

I have a 99 M750 and the carbs have been the bane of my existance over the past few months. Right before I stored it for the winter it was havng problems with the carbs. I brought it in and had them cleaned. Afterwards, I brought the bike to it's hibernation garage, hooked up the battery to a tender, filled up the tank and added my Stabil. 3 weeks later, the bike wouldn't start. I know that the carbs are clogged again but I'm not crazy about spending another $500 to get them cleaned. Can anyone give my info on how to do this myself?
Thanks all,
-Jim

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Re: How do you clean carburetors?

Yacht Rocker said:
I have a 99 M750 and the carbs have been the bane of my existance over the past few months. Right before I stored it for the winter it was havng problems with the carbs. I brought it in and had them cleaned. Afterwards, I brought the bike to it's hibernation garage, hooked up the battery to a tender, filled up the tank and added my Stabil. 3 weeks later, the bike wouldn't start. I know that the carbs are clogged again but I'm not crazy about spending another $500 to get them cleaned. Can anyone give my info on how to do this myself?
Thanks all,
-Jim
http://ducatisuite.com/jetkit.html

·
Registered
894 Posts
Adding fuel cleaner is usually a waste of money brought on by advertising. Most, close to all, use fuel additives in their mix of gasoline already to meet government restrictions on gas. If anything it could be water in the tank (probably not) you could add a gas dryer- basically isopropyl alcohol. I would rather drain it completely and start over, with new fuel.

It sounds like you may have a tank contamination problem. Or air is trapped in the vacuum fuel pump.Try Ducman's suggestion and let us (me) know for future reference.

Does that model still have a steel tank?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts