Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 01 monster 600. We trucked it up from Oklahoma to kansas(about 2 hours) They had it running at the dealership, and we had it almost start when we stopped for gas half way home. Well when i was tring to start it, the thing died and since then we cant get anything out of it but loud flaming backfires. We checked the spark plugs, and cleaned them up. The battery is fine, we let it charge after draining it trying to start the bike. Has gas, you can feel it sucking in air. Its been sitting in a heated shop all night... and this morning still nothing. Just bought my first bike, and cant even ride. If anyone has any ideas, please send them my way.

Thanks
Dustin

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what would be up with the carbs you think? We looked at all the lines, they seam fine. Were thinking maybe, just some how the timing is off. But we have no idea how to retime it. We know alot about cars, little about bikes.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
If the lines look good, I was just thinking you had a bad air /fuel mixture - maybe choke problems - but it sounds like you would have covered all that. If you think it's timing - then do a search here on changing timing belts (also called cam belts) those write ups will explain how you can visually see if the "dots" or tick marks on each of the cams are lined up properly. If you have a haynes manual or LT's book you will be able to see pictures. If you can't find anything reply back with an email and I can send you what I have. While on the topic of Timing belts if you are not sure if they have been replaced - it is worth the $100 to change them, because if they break you will end up with valve damage and that will cost you a lot more.
I'm sure some others with Tons more experience and knowledge than me will point you in the right direction once they read your post.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The timing won't change on its own. Look elseware. You should see two plastic lines coming from the carbs. Follow them and you will come to float bowl drains controlled by screws with (I think) 8 mm heads. Drain the bowls into a cup. No fuel? Pump or clog. Water in fuel? Self explanatory. Fuel smells like paint remover? Stale fuel. Also consider fresh spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
howie said:
The timing won't change on its own. Look elseware. You should see two plastic lines coming from the carbs. Follow them and you will come to float bowl drains controlled by screws with (I think) 8 mm heads. Drain the bowls into a cup. No fuel? Pump or clog. Water in fuel? Self explanatory. Fuel smells like paint remover? Stale fuel. Also consider fresh spark plugs.
Cleaning fouled spark plugs does not work too well. Use new ones.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
were going into town in about a hour, then will pick up some new plugs. But even with the clean ones i would think we would at least get it trying to turn over. All we get is the started, then after a few trys it backfires. Thats with the choke open and shut.. either way it still will do it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there any way to verify that the ignition timing is on??? I know that there is no adjustment because it is electronic. I am just wondering if there is a control module that could have went bad right after purchase.......

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Is there any way to verify that the ignition timing is on??? I know that there is no adjustment because it is electronic. I am just wondering if there is a control module that could have went bad right after purchase.......

If you test plugs against motor and there are sparks from both,
ignition modules should be OK.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
one plug fired once or twice then stopped....the spark looked really weak...the other plug never sparked at all.....There are two moduls one for each coil....the only thing that both cyclinders share is the crank sensor....could this be bad?

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
have you tried w new plugs yet?
First things first...

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
No spark, but you get a backfire? Something sounds strange, particularly since you have a pick up, module, and coil for each cylinder. I would suggest checking for loose/dirty electrical connections on all wires common to the coils and modules. Start at the coils and work your way back. As far as timing goes, unless the bike is running you would have to remove the alternator cover to check. If the timing being off was your problem you would have strong spark, just at the wrong time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only time we get spark is when it backfires... we are starting to clean the wires and all. I just hope to get it running. Something had to happen when in was in the back of the truck on our two hour trip.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
When I got my monster the schmucks at the dealership left the nipple on the spark plug so the lead never seated down on the plug. the bike barely started or ran for that matter, such a simple fix it seemed like the whole engine was changed. so twist the nipple if there is one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update on the monster problem.. still not doing anything but backfiring.. Called the dealership right when they opened and talked to the owner. With in three minutes of talking to him, he said he you send a tech the 250 miles to my house to work on it, and if he still cant get it running then the tech would truck it back, and they fix it... For Free.. or darn near.. And they should after i spend almost 2 grand on other stuff besides the bike... ;D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts