Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Call out to the experts on the old Monsters for advice

I recently purchased a Monster 20001 M900 with fuel injection (2002 early release) and being new to the Ducati twin engines did not catch a couple of issues with the bike to make an informed decision

1. Oil leakage - When I checked it was clean the oil was empty thought the guy had not used it for a long time so the oil is not present turns out, there is a severe leakage from the base gasket as I took it to the Ducati dealer and they tested for leak after filling the oil and in a matter of minutes it just empties away.

2. Engine piston knocking/slapping (probably caused due to riding with no oil) - I didn't notice it I thought this is a normal Ducati sound, dealer says there is something definitely wrong but we don't know what and are unsure if the parts will be available.

Some help with the above would be helpful in how to fix it; as I prefer not to sell it, rather retain or advise what to do.

I live in the UAE and getting things repaired here is not that easy not to mention expensive in terms of labour.

Appreciate your advice, and direction towards how to.

Thanks
Amit

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ouch sounds like you are going to be in the market for new to you engine. I don't know what parts availability is like in the UAE but you can generally find what you would need on EBAY or similar. Good luck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
amazing!! what a guy the previous owner is, obviously knew about the leak, so to sell the bike, he has drained the oil and cleaned so as not to show the leak. :mad:

Agree with Cowens, your going to have to take the engine apart, double ouch!

2 things are possible,

1. no oil in air cooled engine for VERY short period, first things to go would be big end shell bearings, probably the knock you hear. They are soft metal shells that need oil pressure. If your extremely lucky only minimal damage to other parts. hmmm.

2. No oil for extended period..........engine is toast. :crying

Really, there is no way you could ever trust the engine again, thanks to previous owner. If your mechanically capable, I would strip the engine completely and check everything, The old 900's were pretty simple compared to the modern ones and with help from internet, these forums and you tube etc. can be rebuilt with basic knowledge. Parts still available.
As I said, if your 'extremely' lucky, the crank may be OK, just new shell bearings, But be prepared for a Massive bill. there's no way to tell without full strip down, Finding another engine may be cheaper.

Good luck,
let us know what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Roski & Cowens,

Looks like I've got my myself into some trouble. Anyways will be back home in a weeks time and will check on the bike once again. Oil leakage I looked up some videos and I think I can fix that but the engine is a bummer, I am not that mechanically experienced to open up an engine and re-build it.

Spoke to the previous owner don't know if he's playing me or being honest, but says they never had an oil leak issue, bike was ridden always at low speeds about 100kph and well taken care off.

So I can just hope its not damaged a lot and is most recent.

I'll share the sound clips here if its possible to make anything out of it.

Cheers Guys,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey ppl. So I ended up opening the engine and fortunately not too much damage however the inside was not in great shape. The cylinders were the problem probably due to no oil. Ordered the cylinders and piston off eBay and replaced it. The engine sounds much better now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts