Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, without trying to sound like an idiot...

The clutch on the 2001 m900 ie is it dry or wet? and how do I tell the difference? Not too sure on this one, but I know someone here will lend a helping thought?

Thanks ahead of time
Chuck

·
Registered
345 Posts
Dry

Take the clutch cover off the right side and look at the clutch pack and springs for visual confimration. Or you can listen to it. Almost ringing sound when you let the bike run in neutral that quiets down when you pull in the clutch.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
And if you take the clutch cover off of an 800/750/620/600 you can tell it's wet when the oil leaks all over the ground. ;D

On bikes with a dry clutch you can hear a difference, when it's idling in neutral, between pulling in the clutch lever and letting it out. The clutch cover is one shape on all dry clutch Ducatis, and a different shape on the wet clutch engines. Once you know what it looks like, you can look at any recent Ducati engine and tell which is which.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gentlemen,
I guess I just got interested when I saw a resevoir on the clutch lever....even though the line goes to the front brake it just threw me for a loop.

Great link as well....that parts catalog and owner's manual are two things that I didn't have. The dealer didn't have an owner's manual for the bike for some reason...I guess that's because it was sitting on the floor for a while.

Again, I appreciate the help
Chuck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Chuck,

This line does not go to the brake. It goes to the clutch slave cylinder. The reservoir contains hydraulic fluid to help you operate the clutch. Both dry and wet clutches use hydraulics to release the clutch.

Wet clutch simply means that clutch housing is filled with motor oil. Dry clutch means that there is no oil in the housing.

Your m900 has dry clutch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts