Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been talking to a guy about his 2001 m750. He want to sell it to me. Anyway he said the only problem is that when turning the key to the on position, it sometimes does not allow the cycle to start up on the first try. You have to turn the key off and then on again to get it to start. He said he was going to have the dealer replace it before selling it but if it's an expensive fix I was thinking I might take it as is. If he would deduct it from the price of course.

My questions are:
1. Is this a common problem? (I searched but didn't seem to find any similar problems on the board.)
2. Could it be something other than the ignition?
3. Is it an expensive fix?
4. Would it be easy to fix myself later if I wanted?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Worse comes to worse you could replace the ignition seat lock and tank cap with another set i did with my 2000 M750 since it had no ignition and it cost 200.00 via ebay.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wanted to bring this back to the front to see if I could get a couple more responses. The $200 hanjin suggested is a good reference for what it would cost me to replace it if I decoded to do it myself. What I still want to know is what it would cost to have the shop fix it. The guy I'm buying the bike from was going to have it done at the shop. I want him to deduct the price he would have had to pay. That's the only way I really save any money.

As for the actual problem, I had a chance to experience it first hand last night when I test rode it. (If you want to know how that went, look for my upcoming tread.) It is like described above, however you may have to turn the key off then on again anywhere from 1 to 100 times before it decides to start. Once it does decide to start, it starts right up like there was nothing was wrong. Seems like it must be some kind of electrical problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
could be ignition switch, relay, solenoid, starter or related wiring. the switch would be the most expensive. if you are decent with a wiring diagram and multimeter it shouldn't be too difficult. you can find the wiring diagram in the back of the owner's manual. the trick is to test when it doesn't start. if the bike is a leftover '01 it may still be under warranty.

at harness from ign switch switch in on position
continuity between PIN 3&6 AND PIN 2&5

main relay apply 12v to 85 and ground 86. 30 and 87 should have continuity before testing, make sure connectors are tight. they loosen up.

if all is good so far, when you hit the starter button, the solenoid should click, and you should get 12v going to starter. if not, bad solenoid.

if all is good so far, starter should operate.

make sure bike is in neutral.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts