Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 Cromo went down yesterday in gravel. Dented tank, brake lever, muffler, rearset into swingarm! The HORROR!!

It gets worse - the rearset scraped up the swing arm (cosmetic only). Then I noticed that the swingarm is STEEL! NOT AL ALLOY! What is up here? an $11K bike with $3.5K in accessories and I have a paper weight for a swingarm!??

Is this factory correct or did I get a M620 parts bin swingarm?
Will a 851/888 or other Duc swingarm fit?
IS the M900S swingarm alloy?

-Michael

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Most 900 Monsters (up until `99 I think) had a standard Aluminum swingarm. The M900S had an aluminum swinagrm with spools, and I don't think the standard models got spools.

The 851/888 aluminum swingarm will work, but that's probably a lot harder to find.

Both the Monsters and 851/888 had several rear brake configurations (mounted on top, mounted on bottom, mounted on bottom with tesion bar running to engine mount) and I'm not sure that all swingarms work with all brake configurations.

If you want 'trick', you could have JMC build you a custom swingarm. http://www.swingarm.com/

--Fillmore

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Re: 2001 Cromo HORROR!

That sucks guys, seem Ducati is the best company at making it NOT obvious what comes on the bike you are getting.

I do love me a chromo, it's the monster I saw that made me want to get a monster. Then me being quick to purchase, didn't realize that 750's don't have the wet clutch.

www.ImabouttobuyamonsterwhatdoIreallywantandorgetonthebikeIlike.com anyone?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts

ummmmmmmm....... so what, its steel. Is your bike suddenly going to be faster now with your Aluminum swingarm. Nope... are you suddenly going to be able to drag knees and cut 2 sec off your lap times... Nope. my crappy steel swingarm works fine. Spend the money elsewhere!... like maybe painting that hideous chrome tank... :)

Sorry fellas..... im just mad cause my bike is still down......

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

FIllmore,

Thanks for letting me know about JMC. They are not super expensive especially compared to DP.

-Michael

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Cromo01,

Where did you get the lighter side stand?
Was the stock alloy swingarm expensive?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Premium Member
116 Posts

found everything on ebay, the guy had'nt post his stuff yet, I was asking and he ended up having the swing arm and side stand...lucky I guess....
I am now at least 30 seconds faster to reach my favorite expresso bar...lol...

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

What Brand is the side stand? Do you know of any one else making light weigth ones??

·
Registered
111 Posts

As it happens the other Chromo (99) has the alluminum swingarm with spools and fully adjustable forks. It is basically the 900s with a chrome tank (cool) and some carbon bits (whatever). Ducati did, however, promise a Showa rear shock for 99 900s including the Chromo, but left the standard Sachs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts