Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to replacing my stock cans with a set of stainless Remus slip-ons last summer (2000 ST4), and the shop sold me an Ultimap chip to "improve the ride". Finally, my bike sounds like a Ducati should - only problem is the new combination has ruined the buttery smooth EFI that my ride has had since new. On steady throttle or throttle-on not under a heavy load, it crackles bordering on backfire/detonation.

I returned to the shop, they dinked around with it for the better part of THE ENTIRE SUMMER and still my ride runs like hell. Giving up on their really mediocre "performance tuning" staff, I finally took matters into my own hands and took the bike back home. I replaced the Ultimap chip with the stock chip and it significantly improved the combustion (and power band), but it's not like it used to be. A recent inquiry in a shop in the SF Bay area recommended that I scrap the Ultimap and replace it with a PowerCommander III, which I can't seem to find for my year/make/model.

Can anyone suggest a good solution short of reverting back to stock cans? Any chance I can tune the Ultimap to address my issues? Is there, in fact, a PowerCommander that could fix the problem? By the by, I live in Northern NH at 1,000' MSL.

Thanks, in advance!
-Matt

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I would suggest that you put the stock cans back on for a little brain refresher on how the bike ran stock. Then put the Remus cans back on and see if it's really that much different. My experience with just putting cans on (EFI) was just louder exhaust and bike ran pretty much the same. Now when I went to full exhaust and open air box then FIM flash remapping (1.5 ECU) was in order. My bike was tuned by AMS in Texas.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.