Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Monster 750

Long story short, I have a fairly nice monster except for the damage to the drive train...ie. the front sprocket and internal bearings. Advanced Motorsports, www.AdvancedMotorsports.com, quoted me ~3500 to fix. ~$2700 is labor. That leaves $800.00 for parts.
I am stuck with 3 options:

1- If I do the work, which I believe I can (at this point what do I have to lose), but dont really have the time, It will cost me ~$1000.00 for parts and any thing else I might need.

2. Sell the bike to someone who is wanting a fairly straight forward project.

3. part it out and see what I can get.

Just looking for any advice or ideas.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Re: 2000 Monster 750

monsterAD said:
Long story short, I have a fairly nice monster except for the damage to the drive train...ie. the front sprocket and internal bearings. Advanced Motorsports, www.AdvancedMotorsports.com, quoted me ~3500 to fix. ~$2700 is labor. That leaves $800.00 for parts.
I am stuck with 3 options:

1- If I do the work, which I believe I can (at this point what do I have to lose), but dont really have the time, It will cost me ~$1000.00 for parts and any thing else I might need.

2. Sell the bike to someone who is wanting a fairly straight forward project.

3. part it out and see what I can get.

Just looking for any advice or ideas.
4. look for a used 750 engine.

5. spend a little more and look for a used 900 engine.

Sorry for adding two more choices. From the price on AMS's estimate I would assume labor is so high because they need to split the cases. It may be a good idea to speak to them about repairing it yourself and perhaps looking in a manual to get an idea if you have the skills, tools, space and time to do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts

I'm replacing my 750 engine this winter, you could buy it from me at a fair price. Just needs a head gasket.

Justin

I should clarify: The head gasket on the vertical cylinder leaks a little oil. Both cylinders have full compression and the motor still runs like a top. 13k miles on it right now, It might catch a few hundred more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Option 4 sounds really good, as does #5. I guess I was just being pessimistic. As for using a 900, is it a like for like swap. Does the enigne year or model matter?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts