Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm a huge n00b when it comes to motorcycles and my 2000 M750 (carbureted) is my first bike. I know that Ducatis are known to be a little more finicky and higher maintenance than Japanese bikes, therefore it brings me to this question.

Just last night when I was riding, I was cruising at about 70-75mph on the highway, following my brother, who was driving his car. He sped up and so I opened up the throttle a bit to catch up to him. Once I hit about 80mph, my bike began to lose power and eventually just shut off. I pulled safely to the side of the highway and let my bike sit for about 10 minutes or so.

I thought it was the oil, but I looked through the clear peep hole and saw that there was plenty of oil. So I stood there scratching my head and finally decided to give it another shot. I put the choke on and the bike started right up. I kept the choke on for a little bit, took it off, and she was idling fine without the choke. Long story short, I had to pull over three more times on the way home because of the same problem.

The strange thing is, is that when I'm just cruising around the city, the bike is fine. It is only when I try to push her above 80mph that she dies.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? I called my buddy who is pretty familiar with the bike and he said it sounds like my engine might be flooding and that I should get my carburetor adjusted. Does that sound about right?

Any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated by this n00b!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Three possibilities come to mind.
When was the fuel filter changed last? Possibly clogged.
Did you recently fuel up at a different gas station? Bad gas or water in the gas.

If neither of those are likely, it might be a bad fuel pump

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I'll add a fourth and fifth. The hose from the fuel pump collapsing and tank venting problem.

Carry an 8mm (I think) wrench with you. Immediately open the carb bowl drains and draining into a clean, clear cup. You can find them by first locating the two plastic tubes on the right side of the engine and following them up to the float bowls. Lack of fuel indicates starvation. Water comes out then you have contaminated fuel. If it is fuel starvation change the filter first. You might want to autopsy the filter. To see if it is a venting problem ride until the problem happens. Carry your extra key. As soon as the bike starts running poorly pull to the side of the road and open the gas cap. Problem goes away, lack of venting is the cause.

Removing your plugs and inspecting them will tell you If the bike is flooding (less likely). If the plugs look wet and smell like gas the bike is flooding.

These are also problems that can happen to your Japanese bike.

Congrats on the bike!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be giving Ducati NY a call tomorrow to see if I can schedule an appointment.

Your input will be used to help determine what the problem is.

I will keep you guys abreast of what the problem is.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Since you are bringing the bike to a repair shop let the shop diagnose it. Your job is to explain the symptoms as accurately as possible. Try and speak directly with the tech who will be working on the bike. If possible "Irish Mike" is your tech of choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Guys,

So I finally got around to taking the bike into the shop to figure out what the problem is. (Read the first post on this thread to see what the original problem was.)

I had the bike flatbedded to Gold Coast Motorsports in LI and they called me today. Apparently, my bike had either mismatching or incorrect timing belts and incorrect spark plugs. They said that they're going to replace the belts and plugs, but there's no guarantee that the bike will run even after those replacements. They also said that it's possible that the valves could have been bent due to the incorrect timing belts.

Does this sound about right?

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
You would know way before 80 mph if you had timing belt troubles and you would know if you damaged anything way before that two (like when you accelerated in first and turned high rpms). Not saying that the belts and plugs weren't wrong, just saying I still don't think that is going to solve your problem. The problem you described is either vapor lock, clogged filter, or something else causing a lack of fuel. The plugs being wrong could cause problems with fuel burning. Your coils could also be on the way out. But hopefully a sprak plug change will fix your problem and I think you got lucky with the belts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I heard back from the dealership.

They replaced the timing belts and plugs and they got the bike running again. They are puzzled as to why the bike just died on me. They tell me that the bike seems to be running fine now.

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, so let's hope that everything is ok.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If it happens again at 80 or so, go with Jobu's recommendation of vapor lock or pinched vent hose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts