Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning,
I am new to this post and a hopefull Ducati Owner. I am not terribly familiar with Ducati's but know that I want to own one. I am currently looking to buy a used 2000 Ducati Monster Special. The dealer states that it's a 900 special. I have not looked at the bike yet (I will tomorrow) but Looking at the models for that year I know that Ducati made a 900, 900 Dark and 900 Special. My question is this- by looking/inspecting the bike how can I tell that it's a special vs' a regular Monster? is there some ID plate that states it? markings etc? I am not much concerned as far which is better but I just want to make sure that I get what I pay for. Additionally, There is a marked difference in price (KBB)($600) between the two, so again, I want to make sure I am getting the right deal.
thank for your time.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Most important, a 2000 M900S should also have a rear Ohlins shock.. IMO one of the best years for the M900S..

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, I appreciate the suggestions. I will look for those items tomorrow. So as far as anyone knows there are no specific markings on the frame that will state 900S or special?
thanks

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
It also comes with CF front and rear guard. Some 2000 900s comes with sachs instead of ohlins shocks in the rear.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
In the US in 2000, there were two versions offered in red or yellow. A M900S ie and a M900 ie. Can't remember if the "metalics" were 01 or 02 but they spec'd out same as base model. To the best of my knowledge all the S models in 2000 should have come with Ohlins rear not Sachs.
Non S versions had steel swingarms, non adj front forks, sachs rear and no small fairing.... One more feature on the S that year was the floating rear caliper.. the brake caliper is anchored on the engine case instead of the swingarm allowing the caliper to float with the suspension movement.
Offering better control of rear brake and less chance of wheel hop if a bit too heavy on brake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts